Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 06:01:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Exporting Cogmind's algorithms to X@COM  (Read 2870 times)

dfTruF

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Exporting Cogmind's algorithms to X@COM
« on: June 27, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »

Greetings!

First of all, Thank You  Kyzrati for cool game, which is nice variation & supplement to P.R.I.M.E. & Zap'M (with regard to similarity of s-f climates).

I think that most ideas and algorithms from Cogmind, can be reusable in X@COM. As we know from classic x-coms, by Julian Gollop, there can be robots in a mission, and aliens too can control their own robots.
So it looks like Cogmind game is nice, and natural foothold for  X@COM RL mission in a city, farm, or base.

If Cogmind has potential, then X@COM should be big step forward, and have much bigger possibilities, stretched on procedurally generated planet (another step forward after classical x-coms).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:21:52 PM by dfTruF »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Exporting Cogmind's algorithms to X@COM
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:53:02 AM »

Welcome dfTruF!

Thanks, and I agree. Someone else also suggested meeting the Cogmind in X@COM later :)

There are limitless possibilities for that game, though it'll be a while before I hack out an "official" storyline and decide what kinds of content we'll see. Of course modding is and will be a big thing with X@COM so anyone's free to create their own worlds and storylines.

In any case, much of what has been learned (and some of what has been written) in the process of creating Cogmind will be transferred back to X@COM when the time comes.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

dfTruF

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 04:51:01 AM »

There are limitless possibilities for that game, though it'll be a while before I hack out an "official" storyline and decide what kinds of content we'll see.

I think that such game like X@COM doesn't have to impose any linear, complex storyline. Players, through playing process, create their own storyline by strategic decisions. Like in first X-Coms. There is planet with very simple story - defending people from the invasion.
Big step forward is the game where player defends all environments (land, water, air) on procedurally generated planet.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:47:51 AM »

Agreed, nothing complex, and certainly nothing in-your-face step-by-step like the new XCOM (which for the record I dislike), just a background story. Basically sure it's an invasion of Earth, but there needs to be a little bit of lore and ultimately a reason they're invading and some other elements that tie in to how and/or where you can defeat them.

The real stories should be emergent based on player actions.

Procedural planets could be possible, too, though the official vanilla game would still take place on Earth--I think that familiar environment is a very important draw of the game.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

dfTruF

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 04:35:00 AM »

...Basically sure it's an invasion of Earth, but there needs to be a little bit of lore and ultimately a reason they're invading and some other elements that tie in to how and/or where you can defeat them.

I like this approach. Player must research in-game things to obtain information about current invasion's phase (scout missions, research land and sea animals missions, research farmers and sailors from lonely sea-ships missions, plans for terror,... etc.) , or information about strengths and weaknesses of the enemy races and technology. All this is even more playable if characteristics of things can change after starting new game, and player must be more flexible (non-linear) in planning research tree.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:38:23 AM by dfTruF »