Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 11:05:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [B12] Branch exit might use stair tile instead of door tile  (Read 1579 times)

Mr Goldstein

• Unaware
    • View Profile

This seems to happen when killing enemies with a launcher outside sight range  .
Also i got another bug , when exiting waste and finding an already identified branch exit it will use the stair icon instead of the door icon altough iv only seen this happen to cave exits  never had a chance to see if its same for E exits .

Kyzrati Edit: Changed title to refer to second issue
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 12:08:08 AM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: B12 enemy icon changes to ? when killed on farcom radar
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 07:56:37 PM »

This seems to happen when killing enemies with a launcher outside sight range  .
This is normal behavior, since any enemy that is lost to your sensors of any kind will not update until a complete sensor update happens. The '?' indicates that whatever was there is no longer valid for some reason (usually because it was destroyed) but hasn't updated yet.

Also i got another bug , when exiting waste and finding an already identified branch exit it will use the stair icon instead of the door icon altough iv only seen this happen to cave exits  never had a chance to see if its same for E exits .
Please use separate threads for separate unrelated issues, otherwise I can't organize them here! (That said, I'm pretty sure there's already a thread for this one because I've never been able to reliably repeat it.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 03:54:50 AM »

Looking at your scoresheets in the online run database, I'm guessing you probably don't remember which runs and the exact levels in which you've had this happen, but if it were to happen again, i'd appreciate if you could think to make a scoresheet dump at the exact moment you witness this bug (or close enough) and share the scoresheet dump here (in its own thread, i mean).
I've been trying to collect more data about this bug to figure out its exact cause¹, so i'd be grateful for any extra data i can get.

¹I do actually have a pretty good theory, but there's a flaw in it. (my bug data and theory are in the attached file, if you're interested.)
(New bug data in newer post)
(i haven't played for a while, which is why i haven't been able to test my theory more thoroughly.)

(That said, I'm pretty sure there's already a thread for this one because I've never been able to reliably repeat it.)
I think perhaps the one you recall is a Steam thread, since none was ever made here (or if there was, i can't find it).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 11:27:42 AM by R-26 Lightspeed »

Mr Goldstein

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 12:43:44 PM »

Hope this helps

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 11:25:15 AM »

Thanks for the info (and the extra screenshot)!
After seeing that your run had identified branch exits before the intermap through Access(branch), i wondered if i wasn't mistaken for thinking my second encounter identified branches through a signal interpreter.
As it turns out, it was actually my fourth encounter which was mistaken (it identified branches through derelict logs, not through a hack).
It also turns out all encounters of this bug i know of had found and identified all branch exits before entering the intermap. I wonder if that's one of the bug's requirements?

(I've attached the updated bug data i have, just in case someone is interested.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [B12] Branch exit might use stair tile instead of door tile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2023, 12:13:22 AM »

I updated the thread title and moved it back to the known issues board.

I think perhaps the one you recall is a Steam thread, since none was ever made here (or if there was, i can't find it).
Ah no, I'd assumed it was here (though didn't look), but on checking my notes I discovered that it was brought up on Discord a few times, including by some people with more specific descriptions as to how to potentially recreate it, but I was still never able to do so reliably (or at all).

Latest record I looked into:
RNGesus: Hey Kyzrati, when I've used access(branch) on a floor, then jumped in a chute, the exit on the new map will be revealed on sight but it won't turn into a branch exit visually
(includes the expected screenshot).

After testing it though:
I tried to repeat this multiple times following the exact steps as described, but couldn't repeat the issue--for me it shows as a branch tile normally (makes me wonder if there wasn't more to the original situation that remains unknown/unexplained)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 03:05:43 AM »

I've started a run dedicated to hunting down possible bugs, as well as trying to figure out the exact cause of this bug.

In this run, i managed to make the bug occur every single time i started the session before the area it happens in.
Attached to this post are two save files from that run and the manual save for both.
The unnamed save file starts before the setup for the bug, in -8/Materials.
The "Wastes" file is the save file closest to the bug happening, where the only thing required to witness the bug is to exit the Wastes and go to the western side of the Factory map to visually find one of the two Caves exits (they're both on that side, relatively close to each other).
I tested from that save file and from many other points; The only times the bug didn't occur was when starting the session in the post-Wastes -7/Factory. (Every time, i had previously identified the exit using access(branch).)

I know that this is a very low priority bug, but here's the savefiles anyway for whenever you want to investigate further.
If the bug somehow manages to not occur for you with those savefiles, then there's probably some difference between my Cogmind installation and yours. (I'm still playing on Linux through Proton.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 06:02:00 AM »

Ah cool, thanks for the saves, if repeatable that'd be neat to knock this off the list :)

Too bad the notification for this one came in rather late today, since I was just doing some debugging in the older version earlier and was all set up for that, but now I'm back on the next version again so I guess it'll have to wait until return to older things to check this out...

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 02:51:03 AM »

To clarify just in case (even if it's marked on the save files' names and wouldn't cause many issues anyway), those are save files for Beta 13.
(I'd forgotten that this topic was created mentioning Beta 12 specifically.)