Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 10:56:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 10.2+] Multislot item surplus slots might appear strangely in inventory  (Read 1073 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Apparently it's possible for the inventory to display multislot items incorrectly.

I've been exploring this bug for a while now, off and on, examining numerous code changes over the past year for any clues on what may have changed to cause it, if anything (maybe it's older?), and it still defies all attempts to find a root cause. This is a display issue, so doesn't have other impacts besides temporary confusion, and resorting one's inventory (or performing some other action that resorts it) will fix the issue, but obviously it'd be nice to get rid of this.

I'll document it here for now so that others know it's a thing and could maybe provide more input. It seems quite rare, and would of course also take someone really observant who also remembers and can report all their inventory-affecting actions prior to it appearing in a way that it could be repeated. I've done a lot of testing, as well as comparing code across versions to see just how new it is or where it might originate, but no luck repeating it yet, and until I can do that I'm out of ideas for solving this one until more evidence comes to light.

The initial report came from the first Beta 11.1 build (220422), from Valguris watching an MTF stream:

As you can see the second slot of the Core Stripper (still in inventory) was still displayed in inventory slot 2 despite the Gravjet having been moved to the former location of its first slot (with the CS having been moved to the end of the inventory). MTF later shared with me the exact contents of his inventory at the time, which is what I've attempted to use to recreate the issue:

Later Youngster sent me a screenshot from their Beta 12 prerelease (X4) run in which a two-slot GOLEM Unit somehow ended up appearing to occupy 3 slots:

I'm guessing that's related to the other example, so am including it here...

Anyway, any clues anyone can offer would be great, implying some way to recreate the issue so I can fix it :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

I'll try to pay attention. By the way, do you know what inventory settings those players have (or if they're even relevant)? For example, do they have autosorting on the same setting? What was/is MTF's inventory stats settings (For instance, your inventory reconstruction screenshots are on "coverage %", while Youngster's screenshot shows "plain integrity").

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

I can at least say that the type of stats display wouldn't affect this, since they are purely a subcontent feature of the item interface element, so no that wouldn't be relevant or something to consider here.

I don't believe autosorting should be a factor either, since reportedly MTF (for example) was just scrolling through the inventory manually with the mouse and hitting 't' a number of times to forward and reverse sort by type. So that's the kind of stuff I was trying to do to repeat it, without any luck so far...

Certainly if there's anyone observant enough to potentially find more clues, it's you :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon