Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 03:46:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 11.2/221229a - Polymind] Crash while purging all parts  (Read 913 times)

bugsniper

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
[Beta 11.2/221229a - Polymind] Crash while purging all parts
« on: December 29, 2022, 01:21:13 PM »

While pressing alt+shift+P twice in a row quickly, the game can crash. This happened after around 10 successful attempts so it's not easy to trigger this bug. I think it happened before the game was finished writing its are you sure prompt.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:34:02 PM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Crash while purging all parts
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:43:56 PM »

Interesting, haven't heard of this, and I don't see any crash logs on the server for it (I guess you have error submissions turned off?), so I'll need more info. At least what version (important to include in reports!) and any other potentially relevant circumstances you can provide to help describe how to repeat it. Ideally also a crash log (the crash.log file in the game directory) so that I can get some extra details that might help resolve it.

So far I can't repeat this issue regardless of how fast or how many times I do it in different test circumstances. The prompt doesn't matter at all here--you should be able to literally hold shift-alt-p, or repeatedly press as fast as you can, which is what I did to test. It likely crashed for some deeper specific reason which a crash log might help identify (also in this case a save file with which to recreate the circumstances even better, since autosaving will have preserved that, but it's probably too late for that unless you saved a copy).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

bugsniper

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 06:22:35 PM »

Sure, here you go.

bugsniper

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 06:28:10 PM »

In the save file, I just press alt-shift-p twice and it crashes. Also, my report errors setting is definitely on.

And there doesn't seem to be a crash log.

Version is beta 11.2.221229A

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 06:29:28 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the save! That'll definitely help :)

But yeah if there's no log then it wouldn't have anything to upload, hence it not being on the server then :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11.2/221229a - Polymind] Crash while purging all parts
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 06:40:28 PM »

Hm, unfortunately I can't repeat it with this save, either! (Also I edited to thread title to add that this is specifically the latest version and playing under Polymind mode.)

I did hear from Azken mentioning that they crashed while releasing control of a bot once, though that was an automatic release due to losing their last Recycler parts to a Crusher. So I tested that scenario a lot and couldn't get it to repeat, either...

Apparently there's something going on with releasing control in rare cases, although interestingly Azken had a crash log, one that manually crashed due to detecting an invalid situation of the kind that should be fixed before release but I never actually had it happen, so there was nothing to fix at the time...

Seems somewhat different from yours here, if it's possible for you to repeat it that easily. I will try a few more tests to see if I can get it to happen. So far I've tried many dozens of times using various methods and it's all working normally :/

bugsniper

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 06:55:46 PM »

This may be a better savefile. I think it's closer to it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 07:00:59 PM »

Sweet, I think we've finally caught it :D

I had tried the first save using some other methods, too, like ensuring it was under Steam in the release build with no dev stuff etc, and that was still working normally, but this new save crashes immediately, so now I can start working to figuring out why, so it can be fixed. (It's not related to the warning message though, it'll likely be something about the bot itself.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 07:44:07 PM »

Found and fixed and will be releasing a new hotfix for Polymind today. It's not the bot specifically, but the host's kill count being recorded for the later scoresheet. A last-minute fix I put together before releasing 221229a (and even spent a while testing xD) for compiling incorrect counts in that data ended up causing a memory issue if your latest host specifically has the exact same kill count as the last host in an already full list...