Grid Sage Forums

• April 30, 2024, 07:58:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [10.2] Transmission jammer description is imprecise  (Read 314 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
[10.2] Transmission jammer description is imprecise
« on: March 24, 2022, 11:42:22 AM »

(Unless the transmission jammer has been upgraded in Beta 11, this should also apply to Beta 11 and therefore be relevant)
I think the transmission jammer's description is imprecise :
Blocks local transmissions from visible hostiles within a range of X, making it impossible for them to share information about your current position. Also prevents calls for reinforcements, and suppresses alarm traps.
The suppression of alarm traps is bundled with the rest, even though it only works if the jammer user triggers the trap, and is thus not based on range.

(Note: maybe it could also be a bug : in the situation in which i discovered that, i had
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and when another ally triggered an alarm trap, it wasn't jammed.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [10.2] Transmission jammer description is imprecise
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 05:04:03 PM »

There's no bug there, and the description is precise as far as ranged jamming of alarm traps goes. You do jam alarm traps triggered at range (and in FOV), as with the other effects--they all apply equally in that case.

What doesn't apply is allies using the jammer, for whom it doesn't actually do anything. There are a number of parts which bots other than Cogmind don't actually use/take advantage of, which exist purely to recover as salvage.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 11:30:28 AM »

What doesn't apply is allies using the jammer, for whom it doesn't actually do anything.
Oh, it's intentional. Well that's not too problematic i guess.

It's not like i discovered that after not equipping my transmission jammer specifically because my ally had one, and another ally hovered over a known alarm trap.
And even if i did, it probably wouldn't have been in Access near the end of a great run.
And even if it was, there's no way it would've been the worst Access i had ever seen before¹.
And even if it was, surely the investigation squad wouldn't have come from the garrison that was right next to the shortest path to my goal. (Although it did end up getting redirected.)

¹Ever seen the path to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 01:38:02 AM »

Heh, there are a number of special utilities that only work for Cogmind but not AI-controlled bots, though these are not explicitly marked as such (probably one of the more common/obvious ones are various sensor arrays).

And yep, Access can sometimes have some very unexpected generation around the exits--have seen crazier than that ;)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »

have seen crazier than that ;)
Now that i think about it, of course you have.