Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 07:47:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Help with resolution  (Read 1212 times)

Nayz

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Help with resolution
« on: February 10, 2022, 07:25:59 PM »

Hey guys, I've been using REXPaint, and I was wondering if there was a way to change the resolution? I'm trying to use Polyducks' Gloop 8x8 font, and it's way too small, but when I resize the font to 2x scale, it's too big. Is there any way to just get it to fit to my screen? Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm still a bit new to this.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Help with resolution
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 06:09:30 AM »

Hi Nayz, welcome and no, certainly not dumb, it's a common challenge people come across when working with bitmap fonts for the first time. When it comes to fonts like this, unfortunately there's no real in-between--there's no scaling (since that produces artifacts and ends up looking pretty different, usually terrible :P) and any different sizes that aren't precise multiples must be drawn manually. So it's either regular size or double (or triple, etc.).

There's an alternative hackish option in the config that allows you to unlock unlimited font size, meaning you can use a large font that doesn't normally fit on your screen (there's more on that in the manual), but doing so requires general familiarity with REXPaint to be able to rely on more hotkeys while also swapping back and forth between the larger size and smaller when necessary.

Otherwise REXPaint 2.0 will one day likely allow for a widescreen format by default and more adjustable UI size, which could allow larger fonts and all the tools to fit on more screens. As is the UI layout is static aside from allowing the creation of an even larger canvas area, though that won't help in your case here. Sorry!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Nayz

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 11:33:50 AM »

I see. It's as I feared. Thanks for your help though. It's just hard having to squint :P

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 06:12:33 PM »

Yeah if you have access to a large screen at some point that'll clearly help. Also maybe not an option for you, but changing your desktop resolution to something lower (before starting REXPaint) will result in pixels appearing larger and might work as an alternative.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon