Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 11:58:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Custom rectangles  (Read 1131 times)

fullstopslash

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Custom rectangles
« on: January 25, 2022, 04:09:39 PM »

As I begin to mess around with custom fontmaps for this GLORIOUS application. I'm now wondering this: is there a way for me to customize how it deals with drawing rectangles and ovals? A way to define things like left-corner, top-edge, right-corner, and so on. I searched and can't find anything off hand. I'd hazard a guess that currently the best way for me to approach this is to use the cp437 layout, though some of the more bizarre fonts by polyducks and others seem to forego this layout. :-)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Custom rectangles
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 12:51:30 AM »

Customized character behavior for different layouts is currently only supported for paste-mirroring (as you've probably discovered in the font config)--this would be the first time I've gotten a request for rectangles.

Interesting idea about the ovals, which by default don't even have any kind of character translation at all, just not something I really envisioned anyone using.

I can see that stuff potentially being useful later on, especially now that larger tilesets are supported, but yeah the only way to take advantage of that behavior right now is to make sure the character placement is aligned with CP437 layout. So it's a lot more limiting than an otherwise customizable solution could be, for example with the mirroring usage which can support any number of mirror sets. Similarly we could theoretically have an external file define an unlimited number of "rectangle sets" for convenience. I'll add it to the list, though that sounds like something that wouldn't happen until 2.0.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

fullstopslash

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 11:20:31 AM »

It's not a huge pain, but is definitely something I've noticed cramps some of the custom palette sets out there. Working with that constraint isn't a dealbreaker for me. I'm chipping away at making custom palettes that use some of the characters from https://www.nerdfonts.com/ for some "modern" art that gets displayed in a unix terminal. The unicode export and custom mirroring are killer features! I think being able to map a shape would be the logical conclusion to that! Which brings me to... where's the best place to put my donation towards the future development of this application!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 07:21:36 PM »

Glad the unicode and mirroring is coming in handy, at least! But yeah those features were only added late in development due to the broadened character support, and to be honest I likely would've added custom rectangle support as well at the time if anyone had suggested it.

Honestly I would patch in rectangle support right now if it was an isolated sort of thing, but proper support for that feature actually requires a change to the engine font loading, which in turn actually affects Cogmind (based on the same engine) and causes unnecessary issues for anyone playing with custom font settings over there...

Ideally I need to allow the engine to be a little more flexible in its approach, so that REXPaint and Cogmind could have somewhat different font features. I'll put it on my list to look at sooner than 2.0, although Cogmind's next release has a deadline now and there's a lot to do before then, so it could still be a while before I can get to this since I know it will take a while to implement.

Which brings me to... where's the best place to put my donation towards the future development of this application!
Some people do direct PayPal donations via the website, and there's also an itch.io page for REXPaint which a few people use :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon