Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 07:00:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Transparency workflow.  (Read 841 times)

fullstopslash

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Transparency workflow.
« on: January 24, 2022, 03:44:31 PM »

I'm experiencing a bit of confusion in regards to layer transparency. I'd love some enlightenment.  Say I create a new image. For the First layer I apply the background color to the whole image to some color, say blue. Next I create a second layer. I start drawing glyphs on this layer with the background deactivated, expecting the background to be picked up from the first layer, but instead the glyphs show a black background. If I activate the transparent background then the /glyphs/ seem to become instead of my expectation of the /background/ being transparent.  What's the proper workflow for transparency?  I seem to be misunderstanding a fundamental concept.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Transparency workflow.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 01:05:10 AM »

Hi fullstopslash, yeah the idea here is that as soon as a character exists on a given higher layer, that cell uses its own background color, which cannot itself be transparent since by definition a transparent background color means a given cell is completely invisible (including its character).

So if your goal is, for example, to set a glyph on a higher layer but have its background color match some solid background color on a layer below it, then you have to do the matching manually.

Cell contents work as a whole unit, rather than individually. (And probably the more confusing/unexpected part here when first starting to work with multiple layers and transparency is that even with the background color disabled, black will be the default background color for a new cell on a higher layer, since you must have some color for the glyph to be visible at all.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

fullstopslash

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: Transparency workflow.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 02:57:15 AM »

Fantastic. Thanks for the explanation!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind