Grid Sage Forums

• April 30, 2024, 10:29:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Wait X turns command/key  (Read 2005 times)

Deliz Seemack

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
    • View Profile
Wait X turns command/key
« on: June 04, 2015, 08:12:20 AM »

It would be nice to have a command/key to wait X turns where you could input the value for X.

The Stop on Threats Only behavior configuration would still apply.

Use cases for this include waiting for a repair station or a fabricator to complete while knowing exactly how many turns it take.

The Long Wait idea might be related to this.

You can find me on Steam on http://steamcommunity.com/id/delizseemack

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Wait X turns command/key
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »

Yeah, that would be the same as the Long Wait idea, although here you're suggesting that you can input any number as a variable. True that other major roguelikes include that feature.

Perhaps to keep the system simple I could still, as planned, limit it to 50 turns at a time, and of course threats would stop it, as would any newly completed Fabricator or Repair Station task in sight. The number could also be changed via the options if desired, though I'd probably make that a cfg-only edit.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

infectedm

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »

UI suggestion: when pressing and holding the wait key, the game could automatically stop waiting once an enemy shows up or a fabricator has completed.

Holding down the wait key is a sure way to get yourself killed in any other roguelike, but this would make it safe to use. Also, no new key binding would be necessary.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:58:37 PM by infectedm »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »

Hm, that's a really nice alternative! It's the most flexible since you can also manually stop whenever you want. It might be a little difficult to fit into the input system, but I'll see if I can do it that way instead.

However, for zero-kb mouse players it would seem we'd still need a separate key for chunks of turns (like Shift-wheel), because scrolling the mouse wheel can't be repeated in the same way as holding a key can.

infectedm

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »

Maybe pressing and holding the mouse wheel?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »

That's a nice idea, to avoid having to implement the separate code that would be needed to properly handle a "chunk of turns" wait. I guess most mouse devices these days do have a holdable wheel/third button, though using it can be kinda clumsy. I'd also have to check if the engine even allows repeat detection from a held middle mouse button--keyboard and mouse input are handled differently so that would probably require separate mouse code regardless of the method used...

Supernovadx

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »

I would say hit like alt-w or something and a popup comes on screen saying, How long would you like to wait? Then type in the amount of turns and hit enter.
-SupernovaDX

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »

That's possible, although if the game can also be set to trigger a stop when anything interesting happens (the only real cases other than hostiles are machine interactions), I don't know how useful it would be.

Sylverone

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »

For now running back and forth in a nearby space that's several/a few tiles wide works to pass the time quickly and is about as accurate for me as holding wait, with the additional benefit of pausing on hostile presence. Just FYI for anyone not doing this already.