Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 09:47:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: High alert kills in caves  (Read 281 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
High alert kills in caves
« on: November 29, 2021, 10:50:26 AM »

I noticed a difference between two stat dumps, one in upper caves and one in proxy caves after W, and somehow the "high alert kills" part of bonus points had gone up despite not being in an area that even "had" alert.
Of course, there's the possibility this may be as intended, like what feels like half the bug reports i make. If i had to guess, i'd say it probably is?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: High alert kills in caves
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 11:41:59 PM »

It helps when you post about stuff like this to provide references, like for example a link to the scoresheets in question (which make analysis of a situation much quicker!), but I thought about it for a while and realized that what you're referring to here is probably a bit of a dilemma with respect to scoresheets in particular, in that they don't report your alert outside Complex 0b10 (because it doesn't actually impact any gameplay elements on those maps themselves), but technically they can impact later maps because you're accumulating some amount of alert that will matter later, so you do still get high alert bonuses by continuing to fight under those circumstances.

One alternative approach I've considered here would be to make alert gains in non-0b10 areas work like spotters in Recycling, applying alert directly to later applicable maps rather than recording it immediately. This would remove the inherent disconnect that you see between those two factors (high alert points could still be earned later if the fighting continues in the future 0b10 map, just not immediately). At the same time this makes the general alert mechanics even more opaque by creating another kind of disconnect, so this, too, presents its own dilemma...

I don't really like the idea of delaying alert like that for a number of reasons, though it also doesn't make a lot of sense to leave the bonus even if you are causing that much destruction, if only because by later transitioning to other maps you'll be shedding a fair amount of alert anyway.

So maybe in the end the best option would be to simply remove the alert-based bonus there if driving up the alert doesn't have a correspondingly strong enough effect. It's at least the simplest option so I guess that'd be the one to do for now unless there's a compelling reason to add the other (which seems like it would have some nifty potential, but also be more confusing and complicate the design).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:13:04 AM »

It helps when you post about stuff like this to provide references, like for example a link to the scoresheets in question (which make analysis of a situation much quicker!)
Right, and i would have, had i not deleted one of the scoresheets before realising it would be beneficial to keep it. Sorry.
(I tend to delete dumped scoresheets because i make quite a lot of them, so at some point i decided to delete those i didn't care about.)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 12:52:59 AM »

Ah if it was a dump then that's understandable, sure. I thought maybe you'd found one while perusing the online database/leaderboards, but also makes more sense that you'd come across this while examining your own data :)

(And for this I ended up just excluding the bonus points in that case.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon