Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 10:03:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Fonts options and crashing?  (Read 1265 times)

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Fonts options and crashing?
« on: November 05, 2021, 02:17:04 PM »

I didn't update the game, but I connected my laptop to the Internet today. Before there were only few fonts, now there are lots of them, so many I have to scroll to see them, that's amazing! I guess the game autodownloaded them or something. And they are all available. Of course I wanted to see them all, and once I clicked one of 14×14 fonts, the game freezed and crashed, saying in the crash log "Unsupported fullscreen mode (fonts filtered assuming no custom screen resolution)".
I'm sure it doesn't even count as a bug, because new fonts were meant for new versions, and Beta 10.1 is kinda outdated now, but then why did it download all those fonts? I think it wasn't supposed to. And why did it allow me to choose them all? I switched to windowed mode to test it, and the only available fonts are 12×12, others are grayed out. Strangely, even smaller ones, like 10×10, 8×8 and 4×4. But in true fullscreen or borderless modes the game allow me to choose any font, even ones that don't fit into my laptop's screen.
Edit: Actually, just checked it, smaller fonts are always blocked now. No matter the mode, true fullscreen, borderless or windowed, 10×10, 8×8 and 4×4 fonts are always gray now. I clearly remember I could activate them before, was wondering how to read text in 4×4...Now they are disabled for every mode.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 07:12:11 AM by S0ZDATEL »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Fonts options and crashing?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 05:07:36 AM »

I guess the game autodownloaded them or something.
Nah, they're all always included with the game. In fact, unless you have a massive monitor, I'm sure there are still plenty you're not able to see ;)

The full list is quite long (and there are even more included which must be activated manually in the config files in order to use them.)

There is no downloading of fonts, and that wouldn't cause an issue here. (Also the fonts haven't changed for a while--the fonts in Beta 9 are the same as in Beta 10 and even Beta 11, which isn't even released yet.) As for why it allowed you to choose them all, this must be some property of your OS, hence the "unsupported fullscreen mode."

All Cogmind does is take your desktop resolution at runtime and give you a font list based on what will fit, but if it was giving you a huge list stuff that wouldn't normally fit, then it got bad info from your OS.

I'd have to see your full log and know your system specs (at least OS and desktop resolution) to say more, but this is some kind of issue to do with your display and/or OS settings, not something that will affect Cogmind itself, so I'll move this over to technical support if you want to add more.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »

Well, here is the log. I started a new run, and as soon as the scrapyard got loaded, I went to options and chose a large font.
Here are some specs:
Screen resolution: 1366x768

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 04:53:20 AM »

Interesting, so yeah in the log there early on the game is loading all fonts included with it, all the way up to those for 4K monitors (the largest currently supported size), but clearly you only have a 768p device, so for some reason the device is reporting to Cogmind that it's larger than that.

I.e. Cogmind is apparently receiving information from your desktop resolution settings that is telling it there is basically an unlimited number of pixels available on your desktop. Any idea why that might be?

Haven't seen this happen before but I'll keep it in mind for crossreferencing if anyone else comes across something like this, too... But yeah, you can't use anything above 12 with your resolution.

That the smaller fonts aren't usable also sounds incredibly odd--I can't explain that one at all. There's something really weird with your system and I don't know what it is xD (especially since they are indeed loaded correctly due to the whole "any size desktop resolution fits fine" issue)

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 07:07:43 AM »

Even stranger is that before it worked just fine. I could choose any fonts from 4×4 to 12×12, I guess there were a couple grayed out, like 14×14 or something, and all those huge fonts weren't even in the list.
As I said, I connected my laptop to the Internet then, which I do quite rarely, and I guess Windows have autoupdated itself. But could that mess things up that much, making the game believe I have unlimited screen resolution?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 07:10:56 AM by S0ZDATEL »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2021, 11:40:34 PM »

Hard to say what happened here! That the largest sizes wouldn't appear at all on the list would be the normal behavior, but as we can see in the log, during startup the game is not restricted by resolution for some reason... I'm not sure what might cause that since it's something external to the game at work here, so can just hope that it might be discovered one day by others who encounter a similar situation to provide more info. Anyway, stick to <= size 12 on your 768p :P

By the way, font sizes smaller than 10 don't support tiles (they're ASCII-only, as described in the options menu description), so if you have tiles mode activated those options always appear grayed out and cannot be selected. If you need them you can get access to the smaller sizes again if you deactivate tiles mode.

S0ZDATEL

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 07:07:35 AM »

Oh, right, that's how I was able to use them before, switching off tiles mode. Well, not that I really need them, just wanted to check how they look.