Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 04:21:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 10.2] Player 2 is paralyzed  (Read 1516 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[beta 10.2] Player 2 is paralyzed
« on: April 30, 2021, 07:46:40 PM »

Not sure if this because P2 is overweight but he hasn't moved in several hundred turns except for swapping places with Cogmind. I suppose I could walk him to an exit that way but isn't there a better way?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 10.2] Player 2 is paralyzed
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 07:52:16 PM »

Downloaded and I'll check it out soonish, although right now the priority is doing near-term fixes for the Beta 11 prerelease. It's always been the case that P2 AI can be soft locked by a number of rare sitautions, but usually other changes around them get them unlocked one way or another pretty quickly. (That said, that was the case a year ago when the mode was first built, and special modes are at most only minimally adjusted for later updates, so something newer might've popped up... Thanks for the save so I can explore the specific cause!)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 09:11:02 PM »

By the way, forgot to ask if you'd like me to try to fix this save for you when I can explore this issue, since you technically need P2 to continue on :P

(I know you've got access to X4 and can play with that in the meantime anyway, but maybe still want to do your P2 run depending on how far along you were!)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 10:43:18 AM »

I ended up walking P2 towards the exit and once he picked up an engine he was fine, so this is probably due to poor energy budgeting in the AI. (If you don't have enough energy to move, turn something off!) And shortly thereafter lost because I forgot it was a bad idea to go into T with Farcom. Oh well - I might try this mode again, this was actually the first time since it was released.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 05:12:36 PM »

Yeah that can definitely happen wrt energy management. P2 currently has solutions to address immobility due to other causes, but lack of energy to the point of not being able to do anything is a more complicated problem to solve and doesn't come into play very often. I could look into at least trying to have them shut something off in hopes of actually reaching a power source, but in general once your energy is insufficient, it cascades into a rather large number of issues.

Sometimes you can also check their gear and try to give them parts to help out. (And also consider their build in advance and try to leave certain parts for them to begin with, or basically don't be stingy with your own spares :P)

It's a fun mode, one which I'll be playing again, too :D

Technically not a bug, though, since that's just how the AI works. They can occasionally (usually fairly rare) get in situations they're simply not equipped to solve and require an external catalyst to be able to continue on. The Player AI will always have these deficiencies.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 05:14:31 PM by Kyzrati »