Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 05:07:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [beta 10.2] Props resistance  (Read 1922 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[beta 10.2] Props resistance
« on: December 06, 2020, 05:49:16 AM »

The Nuclear Reactor in this screenshot says it has armor 30, EM resistance -50%. Unless I'm mistaken that means it should only take 15 units of EM damage to blow up, which means the Lgt. EM Pulse Cannon (18-20 EM) I keep shooting it with should've destroyed it on the first hit. Did I misunderstand something about this or is it a bug? :)

I will add that one small enhancement to the Combat log I've wanted to see is the amount of damage applied to a wall or prop when you hit it. In the past when trying to break through sealed barriers or reinforced walls with launchers or with melee, it hasn't always been obvious why they weren't doing enough damage to break through.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 05:52:22 AM by Joshua »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [beta 10.2] Props resistance
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:18:03 AM »

The Nuclear Reactor in this screenshot says it has armor 30, EM resistance -50%. Unless I'm mistaken that means it should only take 15 units of EM damage to blow up, which means the Lgt. EM Pulse Cannon (18-20 EM) I keep shooting it with should've destroyed it on the first hit. Did I misunderstand something about this or is it a bug? :)
Just a misunderstanding (or difficult to understand representation given the circumstances :P), since resistances are technically damage multipliers for weapons, so a negative resistance value doesn't mean the prop takes exactly that much less damage, but instead that the weapon used does that much extra damage (early on in Cogmind what are now "resistances" actually used to be called "damage modifiers" for this reason). A -50% resistance means an EM weapon does 50% extra damage to this target. Therefore a Lgt. EM Pulse Cannon will inflict 27~30 damage to a Nuclear Reactor. Only one in four shots is enough to destroy it outright.

I will add that one small enhancement to the Combat log I've wanted to see is the amount of damage applied to a wall or prop when you hit it. In the past when trying to break through sealed barriers or reinforced walls with launchers or with melee, it hasn't always been obvious why they weren't doing enough damage to break through.
No plans to do anything further with the combat log at this time. It's only going to expanded/redone if it gets votes on Patreon as an extra thing.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 07:58:41 AM »

Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot more sense of what is happening even though my intuition says -50% resistance should mean it does twice as much damage.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »

Yeah I agree that would be a more common assumption, for sure (although interestingly no one has noticed, or at least brought this up, in the several years since that header was changed). This is why I preferred it when it was called Damage Modifiers, but there were some issues with that one as well, and changing the numbers themselves to reflect the damage result would result in much stranger values.

Perhaps just an update to the description would be fine instead.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon