• April 28, 2024, 02:05:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: REXPaint art for CDDA  (Read 17052 times)

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Re: REXPaint art for CDDA
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 06:06:12 AM »

I don't see any difference between unlimitedFontSize 0 or 1, manual says
Setting this value to 1 loads all fonts, even those which will allow extreme zooming where it produces a window which doesn't fit on the screen!
But I can load the same fonts (many of which indeed don't fit on the screen) on either setting .
About the black color tags: yeah, they are completely unnecessary: for spaces because it doesn't change anything and for other characters because well, why would I want to draw anything in black if it's gonna look like an empty space anyway?
Just make sure to include </color> after spaces with background color right after the color ends, which was a problem before because I guess the black color tags for spaces were ignored.
Also some news about in-game implementation of background color tags: they actually don't produce errors about line length, it's just that every color tag counts towards the character limit if you don't close it properly and I didn't notice it because color tags without background colors are shorter (but it's getting fixed anyway). The issue about adding colors to the next line in some pictures exists, and in some it doesn't. What's more interesting, I shared a json with the issue with a dev and he said it worked fine in his case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
About more background colors: it can be done, but apparently it might not work on some terminals https://linux.die.net/man/3/init_pair

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 06:22:45 AM »

About the black color tags: yeah, they are completely unnecessary: for spaces because it doesn't change anything and for other characters because well, why would I want to draw anything in black if it's gonna look like an empty space anyway?
Yep, just originally wasn't sure how CDDA renders things like the terminal background.

I'll have a newer version later. Time for bed!

I don't see any difference between unlimitedFontSize 0 or 1, manual says
Setting this value to 1 loads all fonts, even those which will allow extreme zooming where it produces a window which doesn't fit on the screen!
But I can load the same fonts (many of which indeed don't fit on the screen) on either setting .
Hm, this is an unrelated issue to what we're doing here, but it might be because the unreleased v1.50 you have contains an issue with the font size calculations? I rewrote a bunch of that in order to support unlimited numbers of characters in fonts, and thought I fixed any new bugs in all cases, but perhaps not.

You're not supposed to be able to load fonts that will produce a REXPaint window larger than your display (unless your display is smaller than the first/default font size you have set in the config, but that is unlikely unless you've also been removing things in your copy).

Have a copy of the run.log file from your REXPaint directory? That will show your resolution and what fonts are loading, and I could take a look at what's happening.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »

I attached the run and _config.txt files . I see that only CP437 20x20 exceeds resolution (and can't be used, I think? Hard to tell when the font name is outside the screen). I assume that the max resolutions are the same as defined in data\fonts\_config.txt? If that's true then they're probably wrong because my resolution is 1920x1080 and any font higher than 12px is bigger than my screen. Which is rather weird now that I think about it, because if you assume that window height is font height*60 then the resolutions should be correct (if you don't take the top bar into account).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:49:05 AM by Ununsept »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »

I've updated the CDDA export download (same link). It now has escaped backslashes so those will work normally, and I removed extra black tags. As long as everything works in its current form maybe it's done?

I assume that the max resolutions are the same as defined in data\fonts\_config.txt?
No, max resolution is not defined anywhere because there's no need to explicitly define it. There are some comments in the config file, but that's it. But anyway, found that there's apparently still a bug in the new font loading process so I'll have to address that before release.

I attached the run and _config.txt files . I see that only CP437 20x20 exceeds resolution (and can't be used, I think? Hard to tell when the font name is outside the screen).
Your run.log looks normal. With a 1080p screen 20x20 is the only font that should not fit, and indeed it should not be loading unless you have unlimitedFontSize set to 1.

Myself and other users have tested this and it's working normally, not sure what else is going on here. What do you mean by "Hard to tell when the font name is outside the screen"? Open the options menu (F3) and the loaded/available fonts are listed in the Font selection. And I guess attach a copy of your REXPaint.cfg file.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 03:13:15 PM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 03:13:41 PM »

(Edited/updated the previous post because it originally contained incorrect info.)

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2020, 05:20:12 AM »

With a 1080p screen 20x20 is the only font that should not fit
That's the problem, 14x14 is exactly the height of my screen:

and anything bigger doesn't fit, but only 20x20 can't be selected. I attached all the files from the newest version.
As for the CDDA export, it works and I'm glad that black color tags are gone, but now a sample picture looks like this:
Code: [Select]
"                                         ",
      "                <color_light_gray>|\\</color>                       ",
      "                <color_light_gray>|</color> <color_light_gray>\\</color>                      ",
      "                <color_light_gray>|</color>  <color_light_gray>\\</color>                     ",
      "                <color_light_gray>|</color>  <color_light_gray>|</color>                     ",
      "                <color_light_gray>|</color>  <color_light_gray>|</color>                     ",
      "               <color_dark_gray>(____)</color>                    ",
      "                <color_dark_gray>[__]</color>                     ",
      "                <color_dark_gray>[__]</color>                     "
and it would be better if it looked like this:
Code: [Select]
      "                                         ",
      "                <color_light_gray>|\\                       ",
      "                |\\                      ",
      "                |  \\                     ",
      "                |  |                     ",
      "                |  |</color>                     ",
      "               <color_dark_gray>(____)                    ",
      "                [__]                     ",
      "                [__]</color>                     ",

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »

and it would be better if it looked like this:
Hm, could be more complicated, but anyway I guess the idea there is that spaces without any explicit background can't reset the color in any way. I'll look at it, thanks for the specific example.

That's the problem, 14x14 is exactly the height of my screen and anything bigger doesn't fit, but only 20x20 can't be selected.
Ah okay, then this isn't a bug, just what happens when you have DPI scaling enabled. REXPaint normally tries to deactivate it, but it would appear your OS is forcing it on the program anyway. REXPaint's engine reads the actual pixel dimensions of your display settings and bases font loading on that--it doesn't know anything about scaled DPI effects and can't compensate for it. (To confirm, you will also be seeing this effect in REXPaint v1.04, which has the same behavior.) Your screenshot does appear to be showing REXPaint with DPI scaling applied, as it's not pixel-perfect like the original fonts. Without DPI scaling your display will be able to comfortably use larger REXPaint fonts that also look more precise.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »

Okay, updated the download again, which should produce a simplified format mostly like that in your last example.

One exception I'm not sure about in terms of how the CDDA code might treat it is that the final color tag in that example will not actually be closed, since there's no way to predict what will come after it during the writing process and therefore the only way to address that would be to output it into a buffer and retroactively edit it, but that seems excessive since I'm guessing not closing the final color tag probably doesn't even matter.

Anyway, maybe this is final version? :P

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2020, 05:04:57 AM »

Indeed, this can be the final version! Everything is working correctly and I can't find anything that needs improvement. And yes, color tag at the end is unnecessary.
As for the size problem: windows 10 has a setting "make everything bigger" that's set to 125% by default, which causes REXPaint to scale. I disabled it for REXPaint by right clicking REXPaint.exe>Properties>Compatibility>Change high DPI settings>Override high DPI scaling behavior>Scaling performed by: Application. Maybe add this to the manual?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2020, 05:29:51 AM »

Yay, good to know it's finally finalized xD. Now I can go ahead and release 1.50 next week!

And yeah I thought that information might already be in the REXPaint readme, and checked when I saw your post, but apparently it is not. I guess a long time ago when I added DPI scaling overriding to REXPaint the reports of this issue basically stopped, so I thought it wasn't really a thing anymore. I wonder if something since changed in Windows...

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2020, 08:01:47 AM »

Thanks for all the work! Also remember to add unifont to the resources before the release, the manual states you can find it there.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 05:47:48 PM »

And thanks for all the help! Yep the font is already added to the new site, but I haven't uploaded the new site because it's not officially released yet (you have the prerelease version of the manual :P).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »

Hey Ununsept, now that this version has been officially released, I was going to also announce the CDDA export feature in some relevant CDDA places, and was wondering if/when you might have some sort of guide for it that I could also link to. You mentioned the possibility earlier which is what made me curious and want to hold off on doing the announcements so far.

If not that's fine, too, and no rush, either :)

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2020, 03:48:19 PM »

Oh I actually finished it so I might post it soon, I'm thinking about adding it to the CDDA documentation so it might take up to few days before it gets merged, I'll let you know when it does. Just note that this guide is basically installation instructions (including CDDA font and palette) and some basic tips like setting default image width to 41 so nothing groundbreaking, my main intention is to just let CDDA contributors know that there exists a tool that can export their work in a format ready to be pasted into json file. Also unifont still isn't on the resources page.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2020, 06:11:51 PM »

Excellent, and no problem about how simple it is, yeah just something else to point people to for more instructions.

Also unifont still isn't on the resources page.
It's there, I put it there last week shortly before the official release--you'll find it down at the very bottom, and if you don't currently see it then your browser is probably using a cached version of the page. Use Ctrl-F5 to force reload the page.

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2020, 04:10:09 AM »

Oh you're right, for some reason I didn't check the miscellaneous section xD

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2020, 05:38:33 AM »

Hehe, yeah the fonts honestly don't have a really great organization there since that page has grown gradually as I've acquired things over the years. Could probably use a revamp, although not super important so I never get around to it, plus it'd probably just get messed up again with yet more new additions that don't quite fit in anywhere anyway :P

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2020, 02:29:09 PM »

Can you add the CDDA palette to the "resources" page? Someone pointed out that you can't download it without registering and I guess not everyone wants to do it.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2020, 04:00:45 PM »

Ah if you're going to be adding an external reference yeah that makes sense. I didn't originally want to do that since it's not really a general-purpose art-focused palette, but it does enable functionality/convenience that a wider group of people might want now...

I've added it to the page, and also updated the online version of the manual to point to its new location.

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2020, 01:56:49 AM »

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Note that the default image dimensions can be set via the options menu (F3 or the 'O' button at the bottom of the tools)--it's not necessary to use the .cfg file for that, although I'm sure most people doing this sort of thing are comfortable with config files anyway :P

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »

Ok, so I just found out some color tags in COLOR.md are simply wrong. light_yellow should be yellow, light_magenta should be pink, and and "magenta or pink" should be just magenta. I've made a PR to fix that but it hasn't been merged yet. Because color tags in REXPaints are based on COLOR.md, they are also wrong, and should be fixed.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2020, 04:06:51 PM »

Oh no, sadness :(

At least this won't affect any .xp files/local REXPaint images, just the output, so any images people have worked with won't really be affected even now. Let me know when it's merged and I'll drop a patch here.

I'll be releasing a 1.51 which could also include this, but that will have to wait until the other recently requested features are done as well--will be released as several patches for testing in the meantime.

Ununsept

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »

My commit was merged a few moments ago, so the colors in COLOR.md should be correct now.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2020, 12:58:51 AM »

Excellent, thanks for letting me know.

The correct export values will be included in the next release (1.60), but until then, anyone who needs to export CDDA art can download this patch(edit: patch removed since this is now included in 1.60) and simply overwrite your regular install's .exe with this one to apply the fix.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:21:02 PM by Kyzrati »
Pages: 1 [2]