Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 06:19:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 9.4] (Spoilers) Perun does not move or fight.  (Read 1392 times)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
[Beta 9.4] (Spoilers) Perun does not move or fight.
« on: March 16, 2020, 02:02:21 PM »

I was fighting Zh and co. at Access and Perun stopped shooting after his first volley. He received no damage. He moved 1 or 2 tiles and then stopped completely. I attach a save (after I hit him once or twice).

EDIT: Reloading unlocked him. He did spend considerable amount of time not acting at all, though.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:03:54 PM by Valguris »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 9.4] (Spoilers) Perun does not move or fight.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 01:30:45 AM »

Hm, he quite possibly had some other reasonable AI-based reason for deciding to not fight, though I'll take a look later.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 05:04:52 PM »

I've noticed something similar in other situations with ordinary enemies, e.g. a squad of grunts stepping into a doorway one at a time and standing there for several volleys without shooting as I destroyed them from across the room (actually I think I was shooting from a secret passage connected to the room, in case that is relevant to their decision making not to come closer). I think I've also noticed it with AI allies where they sometimes decide not to shoot for a few turns but aren't apparently doing anything else.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:34:15 PM »

I've noticed something similar in other situations with ordinary enemies, e.g. a squad of grunts stepping into a doorway one at a time and standing there for several volleys without shooting as I destroyed them from across the room (actually I think I was shooting from a secret passage connected to the room, in case that is relevant to their decision making not to come closer). I think I've also noticed it with AI allies where they sometimes decide not to shoot for a few turns but aren't apparently doing anything else.
Too many possibilities, though. There are cases in which an AI may not be able to do anything for various reasons. You just don't know what it is since they don't telegraph what they're thinking or what's going on. I can think of a number of reasons they might temporarily be stuck somewhere for a bit.

Relative positioning could play a role, but unless someone points out something very specific and gives me a repeatable scenario that's odd, nothing's going to change about that. (It's not something I can test on my own, and there are plenty of valid reasons an AI won't do anything for a bit, so there's no way to separate the two and explore this without data. That said, it's also highly likely that even if I had the data nothing would be changed since it's not that common and not worth modifying when the AI is meant to be somewhat stupid. In particular I'm curious about the reason for this one since it's an NPC and I presume out in the open, so I wonder what they're up to.)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »

Here's the save from right after I entered -1 with Perun not doing anything again.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 12:35:17 AM »

Okay, I still haven't even investigated the other save yet since this is on the Beta 10 list, but having two now might be better than one, thanks :D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 06:35:46 AM »

Checked your save, and Perun just didn't have enough energy at that point.

This was actually meant to be a "flaw" in their design, making it harder for them to effectively fight any long battles, especially since you can meet them before the final depth when you aren't as powerful, and taking on three unique NPCs at once could be really overwhelming (especially when they were first introduced to the game!).

For the next release I'll be giving Perun in particular an Exp. Energy Well.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 01:42:13 AM »

So yeah Beta 10 is out and the Energy Well solved that issue, I believe. The main cause was the recent EM nerf which doubled the energy cost of all EM weapons, putting Perun's design over the edge in that area :P