Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 07:59:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: How to get more detail in the Combat Log?  (Read 2146 times)

DawnMachine

• Unaware
    • View Profile
How to get more detail in the Combat Log?
« on: November 21, 2019, 09:47:58 AM »

Hello! I have a question.
Is it possible to make a combat log expandable? At the moment, I am accompanied by 4 friendly NPS and it is not very convenient to read the log in a small window. In addition, there is not very clear who owns the part in which the hit. The log says who shot, but who takes the damage is not marked. The color shows only the enemy or friend it was. As far as I understand.
In a 5 by 5 fight, it becomes very difficult to track the progress of the battle. But maybe I have something not understood.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 01:49:47 AM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Combat log
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 01:49:22 AM »

Is it possible to make a combat log expandable?
Yep, just open the Options menu and set your Combat Log Detail to the highest setting, "Full."

You can further modify its behavior in the advanced options, described in the manual.

In general the information you really need will be shown directly on the map, e.g. core damage popups and lost parts, but if you really need more info, just change the detail level.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DawnMachine

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 02:43:13 AM »

Is it possible to make a combat log expandable?
Yep, just open the Options menu and set your Combat Log Detail to the highest setting, "Full."

You can further modify its behavior in the advanced options, described in the manual.

In general the information you really need will be shown directly on the map, e.g. core damage popups and lost parts, but if you really need more info, just change the detail level.
I'm already set my Combat log to the highest setting.
Information is displayed literally a second or two. But I already read in the manual how to fix it.

In the screenshot you can see, as I said, that the shooters have signatures: G-50, UD-KZR(m) etc.
But in the hits, we see only the part to which we hit, but not to whom it belongs.
For example, the last 6 lines. This is the damage that my team received.
Core(13%) That's for sure me
Core(35%) isn't me
I do not have Med Treads so that's definitely not me
But with me 4 NPC. I can look at the state of the parts of each of them and find out.
But it would be cool to have a signature right in the Combat log.
Anyway thank You

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 04:12:11 AM »

I'm already set my Combat log to the highest setting.
Information is displayed literally a second or two. But I already read in the manual how to fix it.
Well... it's actually five seconds, not one or two, but yeah that's why I mentioned there's a way to adjust it in case that's not enough :)

In the screenshot you can see, as I said, that the shooters have signatures: G-50, UD-KZR(m) etc.
But in the hits, we see only the part to which we hit, but not to whom it belongs.
For example, the last 6 lines. This is the damage that my team received.
Core(13%) That's for sure me
Core(35%) isn't me
I do not have Med Treads so that's definitely not me
But with me 4 NPC. I can look at the state of the parts of each of them and find out.
But it would be cool to have a signature right in the Combat log.
Anyway thank You
Ah yeah, that much isn't shown because even in full info there's just not normally enough room in the log, at least not in the space for which it was designed.

The log might actually be redesigned at some point (it was on the Beta 9 feature list for patrons to vote on, but didn't win), but I'm not sure how it can really provide all the info people might want without becoming even more of a complete mess. (Personally I think more abbreviations could work nicely, but that would also make it very dense and tough for people to learn.)

Tactically speaking you really don't need to know how much damage your allies' parts are taking, since by design their core is going to be destroyed before almost any of that really matters, and core damage is show with popups directly on the map next to the bot taking it.

The other factor that really matters is if your ally has been completely disarmed, and that's reflected by their color going dark. This and more details are described in the manual sections for advanced players.

When your parts are taking damage notice the integrity indicators in the Parts list sidebar also glow for a bit, so you can gain more details from there if you're interested in your own situation, though yeah that won't be available for long after the attack like log info will be, in which case lower than full detail might actually be beneficial :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

DawnMachine

• Unaware
    • View Profile
Re: How to get more detail in the Combat Log?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 06:02:09 AM »

Tactically speaking you really don't need to know how much damage your allies' parts are taking, since by design their core is going to be destroyed before almost any of that really matters, and core damage is show with popups directly on the map next to the bot taking it.

The other factor that really matters is if your ally has been completely disarmed, and that's reflected by their color going dark. This and more details are described in the manual sections for advanced players.

When your parts are taking damage notice the integrity indicators in the Parts list sidebar also glow for a bit, so you can gain more details from there if you're interested in your own situation, though yeah that won't be available for long after the attack like log info will be, in which case lower than full detail might actually be beneficial :P
Okay, I got it) I'm going to play next!