Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 02:17:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: I feel like the Infestation event in the mines needs to be toned down. A Lot.  (Read 1888 times)

MrPainting

• Unaware
    • View Profile

Not that it needs to be less difficult, but rather, I've died literally 20 times *in a row* to that event when trying to get to the exiles camp. In a row. It's entirely possible the chances arent that high and I just went on a bad run, but I feel like if the chances are that high, maybe some pseudo-random elements should replace some truly random ones.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Make that 24 times in a row.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:54:52 PM by MrPainting »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Maybe it would help if you saw myself or other streamers getting through those areas to learn some more tactics, but it's quite rare to die to it once you have the tactics down, regardless of how often it occurs.

For one, go in prepared. There's pretty much always a Grenade Launcher to be found before you even enter the Mines, and if you have one (or one of the other early-game launchers), then they don't stand a chance against you. In that sense the Mines are very similar to any Caves--enter one unprepared and your chances of survival can be significantly lower.

That said, it's still not that bad and a launcher is great insurance but still not required, because you can play the response squad against the Assembled if necessary, also using audio cues to find out where the fighting is and try to avoid it if you want.

If you want to even fight them with conventional weapons, that works, too, just as per standard tactics don't fight too many at once. Assembled have extremely high core exposure for combat bots, and two hits from any weapon in the early game will destroy one. And of course be aware of the layout so that Demolishers don't get the drop on you (again, I like to avoid the demos and let them take out the Assembled if possible, but others have different strategies).

I agree the Infestation can be challenging depending on where it happens, but it's balanced with the rest of the game, otherwise high-level players would be dying to it as well (but you'll see a ton of runs pathing through Exiles without issue).

I even later added a decent chance that you get Derelict assistance when fighting against the Assembled (which you can choose to just use as cover and run away!), so it's become easier than it used to be.

But over the years I've seen plenty of crazy screenshots--like try getting ambushed by a full group of assembled as soon as you drop into the Mines (without a launcher, even!), but they survived all the same...

Note that scenario (getting ambushed right away) won't happen if you change the difficulty level to Explorer, so consider doing that, or Adventurer, if you need the boost, but the default difficulty has been tightly balanced over years and is actually a little easier than I'd like it at the moment, so there won't be any changes there. The Assembled and other nasty things that can happen to you in branches are meant as a deterrent for the unprepared--branches are more dangerous than the main complex, stay out if not ready for them.

If you're dying that many times in a row (or really even just a few times in a row that early!), you could probably use some strategy and tactical assistance and dropping screenshots on the Discord can get you real-time help if you need it!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

MrPainting

• Unaware
    • View Profile

While I understand the "Get Good" mentality, my issue is not so much that the infestation is difficult to deal with, but rather that it happens *Every Time* I enter the mines on the first or second floors. It did not initially, but I cannot get through the areas anymore without encountering them.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Ah, if you're commenting purely on frequency that doesn't seem statistically likely unless you're using a world seed since the Mines infestation can only happen once (at most) per run, and its depth is predetermined at world generation time. There are currently three different Mines depths and it can appear on any of them, meaning there is a 33% chance of it appearing at a given depth (this includes -8/Mines, the area accessible only after leaving the Exiles).

So yeah it's quite common to encounter the infestation if you visit both Mines depths, but the Exiles are also found at -10 half the time, so on those runs where the infestation is on -9, you won't ever meet them.

Are you using a seed? It's otherwise not really possible to encounter the infestation... 24 times in a row, the chances are astronomically small and this doesn't happen to other players.

(Another note about frequency is that even if the infestation is on the same map you visit, you won't even necessarily see them unless you explore the entire map.)

Xii

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
    • HyperTele

Hm, I do concur the frequency seems suspect. Could be chance, but I've also observed the infestation occurring every single run I've entered the mines on Beta 9.

It's especially annoying as pacifist, since I can't launch grenades ;)

MrPainting

• Unaware
    • View Profile

I think I've had a couple runs where It didnt happen, but the vast majority of the time I get the infestation event. Usually on the Second Floor of the mines, but I have not kept strict track of that. And yes, I am commenting strictly on the frequency. I can deal with the event just fine when I am not about to throw my keyboard across the room :D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

I mean it conforms to the normal event distribution and I can see when and where it'll happen in the debug view, so there's nothing weird going on or anything. That it can be discouraging is intended though, since that's how all the branches work: extra risk and danger for potential (or guaranteed) rewards. Like Proximity Caves, those that you have to pass through only after getting benefits deep in the cave branches, end lots of runs because they can be incredibly dangerous if unprepared! (Okay even if prepared they can be incredibly dangerous, and then it comes down to survival via tactics :P)

Xii

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
    • HyperTele

Great, thanks for checking!