Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 12:43:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Animation preview popup  (Read 1732 times)

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Animation preview popup
« on: October 04, 2019, 05:42:38 AM »

HI, long time no see...

So I'm playing a lot with animation sheets at the moment and just imagined quite handy tool I miss so much in RP.

It would let user to preview animation out of current image (animation sheet).
When opened (in form of popup window like 'Resize') it should contain dx,dy fields and image canvas of dx,dy size inside the popup and 'Close' button. When user provides there frame x & y offsets between frames on his/her sheet then using ie: arrow keys it should switch between frames while painting preview of single frame in frame canvas with all visible layers (just crop).

Having default dx and/or dy (equal to 0) shoud treat it as there is just single frame full width and/or full height.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Animation preview popup
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 06:22:04 AM »

Hey gumix :D

Yeah I can see this being a step towards supporting animated gif output, which I've tried to avoid if only because it really does beg to have a different/more appropriate interface for that sort of thing.

I could see adding a simpler version like this under 2.0 with the new UI, though I wonder how many other people out there are using REXPaint for animation purposes... (or want to)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 06:41:02 AM »

Thanks for info. Now I want to know more :P
What status 2.0 is about? Just backlog / in production / or alpha-beta maybe ;) ?
What are your thoughts on new UI in 2.0?
- Adding scrollable / resizable panels inside main window?
- Multiple textmode windows?
- OS Windows?
- Anything else?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »

Hehe, I'm sure :). Unfortunately I don't plan to work on 2.0 until after Cogmind hits 1.0. I haven't even organized all the notes for it, much less started. I've basically just been collecting lists of bigger features to be considered, and will later design something that is sure to fit all the ones I want to include.

I've always meant for 2.0's main goal to be a more flexible UI with subwindows you can rearrange/drag around, which will mean we can have more features exposed, and support features that might require their own window. To me one of the most desirable outcomes there will also be support for more than 256 characters in a set.

Multiple resizable panels I hadn't even thought of yet! But I can add it to the list for consideration. Might be kinda tough since it was really built from the bottom up to assume a single active image, but anyway I'll think about it. I feel that kinda goes beyond the "quick and simple" nature of editing with REXPaint and starts turning it into more of a "lumbering software suite," though yeah I can see that being good for big projects...

OS definitely Windows.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:33:29 PM by Kyzrati »

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 03:18:21 AM »

Thank you for an update!
I didn't realize Cogmind is still in beta :o, you've always been a perfectionist, right?
I'm very glad to hear you're able to manage RP backlog, for me it would be probably overgrown and made me feel depressed ;)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 06:59:03 AM »

Haha yeah, Cogmind still not "done"... Getting fairly close, though! I mean there's a lot more that could be done with it, but as it is there is little that's actually missing.

The RP backlog has certainly gotten long nowadays, although as you know I've released mini-patches occasionally for simple requests I can hack in within an hour or so, and that's kinda kept the updates coming. That said, a lot of stuff I end up throwing behind the "2.0 milestone" since it'd be best to have a somewhat more flexible UI before implementing more bigger features.

It'll never have an amazing UI like you might expect with a resizeable app, arbitrary zooming, mixing font sizes and whatnot, but there's definitely room for improvement since the original design was meant for me rather than the tons of other people who have ended up using it since I made it public xD

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 05:08:00 AM »

Regarding UI, I love how it is as is, minimalist, cleverly designed and very productive, even with tons of 'hidden' shortcut only accessible features (probably most I'm not aware of). But I can understand it's  very limiting when adding new things. Recently I switched from Blender 2.7x to 2.80, they have redesigned entire UI, added a lot 'modes' to prevent shortcut collisions. I can't imagine how much work it consumed and how many old veterans will blame them for this move. I hope I'll be still able to use new RP :).
Wishing you all the best with Cogming and RP of course! Thanks for making it so good and public!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 05:24:34 AM »

Haha, good point. I like the current simplicity as well, and it's something I'd like to maintain, though it's also true that it gets harder to keep the UI simple whenever you're adding more features... Will have to keep that in mind. I mean eventually you run out of keys and end up with all kinds of modes, though it's probably not going to be quite that bad. We'll see!