Grid Sage Forums

• April 27, 2024, 12:13:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Hardwire: a tabletop adaptation of Cogmind [Alpha Phase] [Cogmind Spoilers]  (Read 1616 times)

Jeffg10

• Unaware
  • Unaware Central
    • View Profile

Hello, today i'm here to present the current work i have put into my tabletop RPG adaptation of Cogmind, some thing are missing or need to be expanded, but i have just enough done so far that i want to release the files for people to take a look at so i can start getting feed-back from the general public about thing i should add or tweak! Below i'm going to include 4 .txt files: (The General Rules, The Modules and Parts List for DMs, A sample sheet showing a standard floor configuration and a sample sheet showing some basic robot configurations, all of these lists will be expanded in the future) I'm also going to include some pictures of a couple color palates I've made in preparation for re-coloring all of the item and robot sprites in the game (i just want feedback on these, i have plenty of others in store!)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:45:08 PM by Jeffg10 »
Main.C 24/7

Jeffg10

• Unaware
  • Unaware Central
    • View Profile
Re: Hardwire: a tabletop adaptation of Cogmind [Alpha Phase] [Cogmind Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »

Here are some of the sample color palliates: (had to make this a reply since the forums only allows 4 attachments per post)
Main.C 24/7

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 06:12:22 AM »

Palettes look fine, those and more in the future are for printing out as chips on a board? Or is this just a character sheet-based game? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of play space is used for this.

I see some interesting mechanics in there so far--definitely Cogmind-inspired yet not trying to stick hard and fast to too many of the same rules :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Jeffg10

• Unaware
  • Unaware Central
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 10:44:12 PM »

Palettes look fine, those and more in the future are for printing out as chips on a board? Or is this just a character sheet-based game? Just trying to get an idea of what kind of play space is used for this.

I see some interesting mechanics in there so far--definitely Cogmind-inspired yet not trying to stick hard and fast to too many of the same rules :)

I'm planning this to be for something like roll20, online tabletop based, but given that all of the mechanics are dice based and all of the assets will be released in the future when i have them done there's nothing stopping people from printing them out and going physical

(bonus additional color palates, i've made massive progress on recoloring sprites and i basically have it down to a science now, there's about 30-40~ robot sprites in the game and i can get them all knocked out for a new palate pretty quick now! i'll get around to working no coloring item sprites at some point- probably)

-also going to update the modules sheet since i got a ton of work done on that too
[Edit apparently i can't update the attachments like i thoulght so i'll put it here:]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:46:10 PM by Jeffg10 »
Main.C 24/7

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 11:57:17 PM »

Also "Hardwire" is an interesting title, since one of the proposals for the original Cogmind 7DRL was to name the game "Softwired" because you're able to switch gear so easily and nothing is really permanent. So like, the opposite of what you've named this :P

Jeffg10

• Unaware
  • Unaware Central
    • View Profile

Also "Hardwire" is an interesting title, since one of the proposals for the original Cogmind 7DRL was to name the game "Softwired" because you're able to switch gear so easily and nothing is really permanent. So like, the opposite of what you've named this :P
Interesting, well part of the RP may become having and using parts at your disposal a bit more like equipment is traditional RPGs, although when making things i intentionally added the durability system because i think part of what makes Cogmind the game it is is the chaotic nature of constantly having to swap and replace parts as they break or become obsolete, and i wanted to keep that feeling for the RPG
Main.C 24/7

Maiker

• Unaware
  • Kyzrati Patron
    • View Profile

Looks great so far! Liked the rules regarding propulsion bonuses and dice-wise decisions for damage rules. Weapon types provide cogmind spirit, i feel like even more can be done to make them more unique.

How are you planning to implement movement? Will it cover rotate speed or being able to strafe, or any other shenanigans like being able to jump over midsize junk when playing as lightweight walker? Also I looked at robot samples and movement speed difference between Tier 2 and 3 looks ridiculous: T3 unaware get both more movement slots and better props, so for now T3 Battle Tank is moving x3 faster than T2 walker grunt :D If only crash damage can be used to calculate ramming ;D

Jeffg10

• Unaware
  • Unaware Central
    • View Profile

Looks great so far! Liked the rules regarding propulsion bonuses and dice-wise decisions for damage rules. Weapon types provide cogmind spirit, i feel like even more can be done to make them more unique.

How are you planning to implement movement? Will it cover rotate speed or being able to strafe, or any other shenanigans like being able to jump over midsize junk when playing as lightweight walker? Also I looked at robot samples and movement speed difference between Tier 2 and 3 looks ridiculous: T3 unaware get both more movement slots and better props, so for now T3 Battle Tank is moving x3 faster than T2 walker grunt :D If only crash damage can be used to calculate ramming ;D

as of right now movement is cumulative based on your propulsion, i didn't want to do just do "your best propulsion determines your speed" because that would incentivise people only going for 2-3 propulsion slots and never any more unless they wanted propulsion armor (something which, even of in itself is made a bit more moot based on how armor is calculated in the RPG, purpose built armor is MUCH better than parts are unless you have a ton of parts you really don't care about). also keep in mind your listed speed is your MAX speed, not how fast you have to go each turn, in fact that plays into the accidental crash speeds for flying and hover, if they never exceed the accident speed they never have a chance of crashing into anything. as for rotation and stratifying that aspect works like conventional RPGs, you can move up to your maximum movement speed and shoot in any direction.

As for the other subjects we'll see ; ) . I'm taking suggestions when writing everything and some fo the things you said are rather interesting.
Main.C 24/7

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

as of right now movement is cumulative based on your propulsion
That's how I did it in POLYBOT-7, albeit for somewhat different reasons. It can be an interesting approach in its greater flexibility, though!

Jeffg10

• Unaware
  • Unaware Central
    • View Profile

We gots some items bois!
Main.C 24/7