Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 01:20:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Sprint mode  (Read 889 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Sprint mode
« on: August 08, 2019, 04:02:43 AM »

A game mode (or game) designed to take a much shorter time while still offering interesting decisions. Definitely no more than 60 minutes.

This is probably more like a separate game (7drl?) than Cogmind, though. Motivation is I rarely have enough time to finish a Cogmind game, anymore, at least in less than a few weeks. It'd be nice to have a game that condensed the interesting decisions and skipped the uninteresting ones (let me continue moving down this empty corridor...)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Sprint mode
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 05:30:02 AM »

Yeah it would be quite a different game, since a lot of the unique characteristics of Cogmind are derived from its expansive maps and world, and the changes that can occur over time due to how both you and the global AI use that space.

Movement outside combat doesn't really take much time in Cogmind (aside from any time players spend considering which path to take), though one thing I haven't yet done is make the default move time adjustable so that you could practically instantly move to a destination. Interestingly no one's asked for it yet, though the current default is quite short already (50ms/cell). I can see a shorter time even being a slight drawback, if only because you wouldn't be able to stop yourself in time as you pass something interesting while running or autopathfinding to a destination.

In the end though I think some of Cogmind's seemingly uninteresting decisions are still meaningful, just not always immediately. For example deciding even whether or not to go down that long corridor or find another route can be dependent on build or tactics, and responding to new situations that arise while there clearly has an impact on the long term (not to mention the global time cost of every action).

Anyway, I agree it could be fun to have such a mode, actually a different game, probably. It would probably have to be combat oriented, since without as much space to play in there's not much room to fit variety like hacking and flight/maneuverability.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

bugsniper

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 06:54:11 PM »

I know what you mean. Dungeon sprint is now the only mode I play Dungeon Crawl in. The gameplay becomes similar to a bullet hell because you memorize the enemy locations, you find limited numbers of blink scrolls, and you constantly dodge imminent danger.

As for Cogmind, it will be easier to code a jump start mode. The UI is already there and no storyline or map changes would be necessary.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:04:55 AM »

Yeah, I've thought about these before. Maybe after 1.0!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon