Grid Sage Forums

• April 30, 2024, 12:13:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [feature request] 64-bit version  (Read 1409 times)

medusacle

• Unaware
    • View Profile
[feature request] 64-bit version
« on: July 26, 2019, 04:33:10 AM »

I know this is a bit of a strange request :-[ But I use rexpaint from linux using wine, and distributions are dropping support for 32-bit, which means wine32 becomes a real hassle to install. A 64-bit exe would be really useful !

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [feature request] 64-bit version
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 08:11:04 AM »

Won't 64-bit Wine still be able to run 32-bit programs as well? To my knowledge that was the end result of the whole "continuing 32-bit support on Linux" announcement (which they sort of backtracked on and reworded), although maybe it's different specifically for Wine, I dunno.

I've always liked sticking with 32-bit because 64-bit is overkill and the latter systems have always been able to run the former anyway, making it easier to manage all my projects. Once there are multiple distributions things get really annoying and error-prone. I'd have to update a lot of stuff just to be able to add 64-bit support :/
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

medusacle

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:10:21 AM »

Won't 64-bit Wine still be able to run 32-bit programs as well?
Currently it doesn't: 32-bit wine is a different executable that needs a full Linux 32-bit library dependency tree.

To my knowledge that was the end result of the whole "continuing 32-bit support on Linux" announcement (which they sort of backtracked on and reworded), although maybe it's different specifically for Wine, I dunno.
Ohh did Ubuntu backtrack on this? That's great! I'm currently stuck with a distribution that makes it virtually impossible to install 32-bit libraries, but hopefully that's just an exception. My feeling was that 32-bit x86 was as good as dead, except for emulation of old games (which is arguably a good reason to keep supporting it, but okay).

I've always liked sticking with 32-bit because 64-bit is overkill and the latter systems have always been able to run the former anyway, making it easier to manage all my projects. Once there are multiple distributions things get really annoying and error-prone. I'd have to update a lot of stuff just to be able to add 64-bit support :/
Yes I understand this very well.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »

To my knowledge that was the end result of the whole "continuing 32-bit support on Linux" announcement (which they sort of backtracked on and reworded), although maybe it's different specifically for Wine, I dunno.
Ohh did Ubuntu backtrack on this? That's great! I'm currently stuck with a distribution that makes it virtually impossible to install 32-bit libraries, but hopefully that's just an exception. My feeling was that 32-bit x86 was as good as dead, except for emulation of old games (which is arguably a good reason to keep supporting it, but okay).
Yeah because Valve said they were going to drop Ubuntu support from Steam, and retaining compatibility with games on Steam etc. requires 32-bit support. It was only a matter of days before they backtracked, and essentially the result was that newer features wouldn't support 32-bit, but old stuff would still work.

I read about it here.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

medusacle

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 08:19:11 AM »

FWIW I followed this guide: https://forums.puri.sm/t/pureos-buster-32bit-howto/7865 to install a 32-bit chroot and run wine in that, which works to run REXPaint fine!  :D 8)