Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 10:42:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Feature Request] Spray paint  (Read 1302 times)

1nfinitezer0

• Unaware
    • View Profile
[Feature Request] Spray paint
« on: February 25, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »

Fill is nice, but painting is still hard with RP since there's basically no brushes with variation.

A simple MSpaint style spray paint brush with a small radius (~5x5) and random placement would be really helpful to create organic gradients and textures.

I've been trying to do with with copy/paste, but end up grabbing stuff that looks like background but has something in it and overwrites the target areas between desired paint flecks. I guess I need to make some *.xps specifically with brush textures to copy from, but for now it's been faster to just do it manually by pixel.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Feature Request] Spray paint
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:10:51 AM »

Yeah this is definitely something that's actually been on my list for 2.0.

The current UI isn't set up for it, but a revamp of the interface could take into account a wider range of features, including brushes. REXPaint was initially envisioned purely as a cell-wise editor since that was all I needed for my purposes (it being an in-house tool for my own projects :P), though I've since been adding what I can to support other types of users where possible.

Unfortunately certain other features like this need to wait until I can organize the next phase and work them into a cohesive UI. (Note there are other ASCII editors that do brushes, but overall not as usable as REXPaint in general...) Your idea with the brush-type texture areas is definitely something people do, either putting them in a separate image you can flip back and forth between (Ctrl-Tab), or in a separate layer of your current image, or somewhat outside the bounds of your current image and you just cut that out later.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

1nfinitezer0

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:17:05 AM »

It's an amazing tool, and you've built in enough solid functionality that work arounds can exist in many ways. That's more than most free tools of such a niche interest. So you can be assured that your users are very grateful :)

Thanks also for the Ctrl-tab trick - hadn't learned that shortcut yet.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »

Yeah Ctrl-Tab is super useful for when you often work between a couple images, it's one of my more frequently used shortcuts.

I also often make really tall sprite sheets or templates, and another one commonly useful to me there is holding Shift while scrolling the wheel to move up and down through the image.

There are quite a few shortcuts and additional features found only in the manual.

Anyway, not sure when I'll be able to get to REXPaint 2.0, but it'll happen some day...
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon