Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 09:51:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: REXPaint on Hacker News, Gigazine  (Read 2085 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
REXPaint on Hacker News, Gigazine
« on: December 14, 2018, 01:33:19 AM »

Rather unexpectedly, this week someone posted REXPaint to Hacker News and it became a top post :P

As one might expect, this brought a lot of traffic and downloads...

Then not long after that it was picked up by Gigazine, a popular web news site in Japan. (I had one Cogmind player and RP user in Japan contact me saying they were in their office that day just checking the news, and--surprise!--up popped REXPaint, haha!)

On that note, before the news even appeared another user ULuFu posted a Japanese guide to getting started with REXPaint, which I've also added to the resources page.

Anyway, just thought I'd record these events here for posterity :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

gumix

• Cyborg
    • View Profile
Re: REXPaint on Hacker News, Gigazine
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »

Cool! Thanks for posting it, somehow it explains echo effect I noticed on AP server:

420   9.41%   15/Dec/2018   24.73 MiB   
786   17.61%   14/Dec/2018   27.42 MiB   
949   21.26%   13/Dec/2018   37.20 MiB   
783   17.54%   12/Dec/2018   41.57 MiB   
1096   24.56%   11/Dec/2018   99.32 MiB   
429   9.61%   10/Dec/2018   19.70 MiB

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 05:16:58 PM »

Oh nice! Thanks for reporting that, gumix. I've always wondered how many people check out games through the the Projects page. The thing is, I've put out multiple calls for people to submit projects for it, and although I know there are a bunch out there, no one ever gives me anything! Too bad for them because clearly this is a good thing for the projects on that page :P (that was kinda the point of making it, to showcase a bunch of gamedevs...)

I'll have to remind people again.

drdru

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 02:05:14 PM »

Hi

Someone mentioned a game made with REXPaint on HN a few days ago which led me to download it. I just wanted to say I love the software. My hobby is to write illustrated stories in easy Japanese. And since I can't draw I use 'code' (for the lack of a better word) to create my illustrations. I started with Emoji, then I combined that with CSS drawings and lately someone's developped for me a tool to encode complex pixel art as CSS. I was looking after a new technique and REXPaint is exactly what I needed. I'll post my realisations when I have made some.

Thanks for the great work!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 09:22:47 PM »

Glad you like the tool, drdru! It's definitely made the rounds over the years... I'd really like to put out another update with even more features eventually.

(Sorry about the late reply, your post got stuck in a queue with no moderator notification for some reason... Your account is of course now approved so that would be an issue if and when you'd like to share some of your work!)