Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 12:57:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Auto-replace rules don't apply when swapping out storage unit  (Read 881 times)

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Auto-replace rules don't apply when swapping out storage unit
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »

Situation: I had a storage unit equipped and my current inventory was one over what I would be able to hold once I un-equipped it.  Based on the auto-replace rules, I figured if I swapped a different utility in for the storage unit, my inventory would be unable to hold the storage unit and it would be compared to inventory/dropped, as detaching with a full inventory normally does.

However, the storage unit was kept and the top unit of inventory was dropped (a Power source, as that's what goes to the top of an auto-sorted inventory).

For this to happen, I think the inventory is at some point accepting a storage unit that it does not have room for: instead of rejecting the unit (or replacing a lesser storage unit), it accepts it and goes over capacity, then, seeing that it is now over capacity, it ejects the top item.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:33:58 AM by Trione »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Auto-replace rules don't apply when swapping out storage unit
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 05:48:26 AM »

This is pretty confusing, but I don't think there's a bug here. I mean I wouldn't rule anything out until I completely understand what you're describing, but it would help if you had a screenshot, or if not perhaps a sample list of relevant parts/inventory items to demonstrate what happened. But maybe there's a misunderstanding stemming from this:

(a Power source, as that's what goes to the top of an auto-sorted inventory)
Automatically dropped parts have nothing to do with inventory sorting---it's completely random and you have no control over it, so the only way to predetermine what you get to keep in inventory is to spend some time dropping what you don't want.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:52:30 PM »

Ha, good to know it's random :P, I just assumed it was the top item because that that's what dropped.  Not important to what I was trying to communicate.

And sorry, yeah, it is confusing.  I'll try to explain my thoughts more clearly using a simpler case:

One is holding a single medium storage unity, full utility slots, and 5 non-storage items in Inventory.  If one were to un-attach the storage unit, inventory would be full, so the unit is dropped, and one more item would also be dropped (at random) to bring inventory down to 4.

However, if one attempts to swap out the storage unit for an item from inventory, even though inventory is full and the storage unit should not fit, it is added bringing inventory over capacity, and then one item is dropped at random to bring inventory down to 4.  This is inconsistent with how item management rules are applied any other time an action would try to place an item in a full inventory.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:59 PM »

Okay, I see, so part of what made this confusing is that it doesn't have to do with autoreplacement rules, despite the title :P

Thanks for the explanation, now I see what you mean. But I don't see inconsistency here, they are simply different actions with different results. If you want to specifically drop the Storage, you need to drop it explicitly. If you want to swap the Storage Unit with an item from the inventory then it is considered fair game for keeping the Storage, because you're trying to put it in your inventory (this is what's implied by a swap action), though yes after the action is completed you'll be forced to drop some item, at which point it will be randomly chosen.

(All automatic drop actions are precipitated by inventory contents exceeding capacity, so that's normal behavior in all cases.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon