Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 12:53:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: I became the One. I wasn't ready!  (Read 3070 times)

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
I became the One. I wasn't ready!
« on: September 04, 2018, 04:05:56 AM »

It was literally my first run (tutorial, but normal difficulty).  Jesus holy hell, the pressure was too much.  I just wanted to learn the controls man!

But really, what a crazy first experience.  Manual and reddit open learning the controls and mechanics, barely making it through each floor.  Recovered from one floor at <10% core, no matter, two legged kicked grunts out of my way to try and hide.  Then, on a half dozen luckily found imp flight modules, recovered and played it fast and light.  Stumbled into some sensors that kept me safe.  Stumbled into the caves.  And kept stumbling in the caves... until I stumbled into Zion...  Became the One.  I tried to tell them I didn't know all the controls yet :P  Didn't have the weight capacity to be able to gear up.  Kept accidentally murdering my followers.  Got half the population killed in a hack rebellion...  Everyone that followed me, including this nice hacker man who came out of the walls to try and give me something... then I accidentally shot him in the core with a fancy bore-cannon mid sentence in a tunnel fight.

I survived, but felt guilty, it wasn't right.  I wasn't the savior they deserved.  Then steam came in, as punishment from on high, and my false profit first run was ended by a deus ex update.  I'll do better next time ;)
[Oh, note on that: if steam updates while you're not playing, you lose the save and don't get a score log atm, I think]

23 achievements, 0 deaths hehehe.  Had a good laugh at one point during the run, right before the tides turned against me the first time, I was happy and care free blowing stuff up with dual EMP Launchers, and as my threat level kept rising, the room I was making my stand firing into just kept flooding with enemies, who kept dying, and I was feeling gleeful, and the achievement Storm Trooper popped up and I felt even more bad-ass; cherry on the cake as the game acknowledged my killing spree.  Then when I go looking through my achievements later, I see the award is for 5 misses in a row lololol.  Didn't matter... EMP Launchers.

Sorry for any typos, it's late, but wanted to try and share what felt like a crazy first game while it was still kinda fresh.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:21:31 PM by Trione »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: I become the One. I wasn't ready!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 06:22:20 AM »

Haha wow, thanks for sharing, that's quite the first run :D

Nice that you were able to hook up with them so quickly (if confusing, no doubt xD).

if steam updates while you're not playing, you lose the save and don't get a score log atm
Huh, well that sucks I've never heard of anything like that happening (or had it happen). Wonder why that would be, doesn't seem to make any sense. (Of course, lots of things about Steam don't make any sense, but I would think that if this were a common occurrence we would've heard about it before so that's extra weird :/)

Edit: Oh wait a minute, I think it's possible you misinterpreted the Deus Ex thing. You started playing that run a bit before Beta 7 was even released, and Cogmind saves are not compatible across major versions, so what happens with Cogmind is that when an update lands, it starts a new run for you, and you probably missed it but the message log warns that you have an old unfinished run/save for a previous version, and should roll back to a legacy branch on Steam if you want to finish that run. So you can technically still go back and finish it using Beta 6--your save is still there and waiting! :D (open Steam properties for the game and select the legacy_beta_6 branch to finish your old run)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:31:52 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 06:33:41 AM »

[ x ] survives way too long
[ x ] epic comebacks
[ x ] unabashed nudity
[ x ] kicking shit around
[ x ] imprinted while just trying to learn controls
[ x ] copious friendly fire
[ x ] run-ending bug report
[ x ] 23 achievements and no death
[ x ] supports reforming the time-action system

You sir have had a fine first run and have been invited into the Amphouse School of Mayhem and Wheelery.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:36:14 AM by zxc »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »

I believe this one was a misunderstanding, not a bug, but yes, do report anything that seems buggy!

Also kinda surprising that a brand new player would be getting into the time system like that, but Trione's apparently big on research ;D
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »

Edit: Oh wait a minute, I think it's possible you misinterpreted the Deus Ex thing. You started playing that run a bit before Beta 7 was even released, and Cogmind saves are not compatible across major versions, so what happens with Cogmind is that when an update lands, it starts a new run for you, and you probably missed it but the message log warns that you have an old unfinished run/save for a previous version, and should roll back to a legacy branch on Steam if you want to finish that run. So you can technically still go back and finish it using Beta 6--your save is still there and waiting! :D (open Steam properties for the game and select the legacy_beta_6 branch to finish your old run)

Oh, cool, that makes sense!  I hoped the run save file was likely still around, but didn't realize I could roll back my steam version to access it, so thought it was 'lost'--Didn't notice the log note you mentioned, I guess I should read more carefully :P

Also kinda surprising that a brand new player would be getting into the time system like that, but Trione's apparently big on research ;D

Lol, yeah...  if a game is about the mechanics, I like to learn them!  Avoiding spoilers and hints so far--looking forward to exploring.  Some things I definitely still need to get a better grasp on, like hacking, but that's kinda where spoilers and mechanics blur I think, and the rogue like nature of figuring it out comes into play :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 04:21:29 PM by Trione »

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 05:43:21 PM »

[ x ] survives way too long
[ x ] epic comebacks
[ x ] unabashed nudity
[ x ] kicking shit around
[ x ] imprinted while just trying to learn controls
[ x ] copious friendly fire
[ x ] 23 achievements and no death
[ x ] supports reforming the time-action system

You sir have had a fine first run and have been invited into the Amphouse School of Mayhem and Wheelery.

Cheers!