Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 02:13:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Discontinuing the Weekly Seeds for now  (Read 2382 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Discontinuing the Weekly Seeds for now
« on: July 20, 2018, 12:23:45 AM »

Over two years of weekly seeds... sure is a long history! But I think it's time we stopped for now since there aren't usually many participants or discussion surrounding them, especially these days.

Although we have more active players than ever, even frequent players don't usually bother putting in seeds for their runs and posting about them here, so we may as well focus on other activities rather than extending our streak of empty threads :P

Of course if you have a particularly interesting run or find a cool seed, feel free to share it all the same on the Stories board.

And anyone who has an idea for some sort of community event should feel free to post a thread about it here to look for participants, or if you'd prefer just use the Discord for quicker feedback since it's pretty active. For example there's recently been speedrunning competitions managed via Discord, and those have been fun.

Later we could possibly have built-in activities based around seeds--I have a lot of ideas but there's still plenty of other stuff to work through first!

Addendum: It's worth noting that Weekly Seeds are fun in a lot of roguelikes but I don't think the straight up "everyone play the same seed and do whatever you want" approach works very well for Cogmind.

Where in other seeded roguelike runs players will generally be up against a lot of the same opponents on the same small maps with the same set of tools at their disposal, Cogmind maps are huge, not to mention all the different routes one can take through the world, and access to completely different strategies, so instead of players being forced to compete on a fairly level playing field, what you come up against can vary greatly depending on a lot of factors. (And that's even before we start adding in the effects of a rising alert level!)

In that light, we can why weekly seeds won't have all that much appeal, and how Cogmind is more suited to special/focused challenges with greater restrictions. We'll have to keep that in mind when thinking about how to approach any future activities :)

For the record, a relevant excerpt from our conversation yesterday:
Kyzrati: and I guess also mention will stop weekly seeds for now--not enough participation to warrant it
zxc: yeah... brogue has good participation and i dont think a larger community than cogmind
zxc: so, not sure
Kyzrati: weekly seeds work better with brogue
zxc: brogue has more RNG yeha
Kyzrati: because the maps are much smaller, less options where to go
zxc: like we explored in that thread
Kyzrati: and you often end up getting the same collection of tools to use as everyone else
Kyzrati: Cogmind you can pretty much do anything :P
Mhorre: much more variance of strategic approach in cogmind on a given seed vs brogue
Kyzrati: so it's more suited to special/focused challenges
zxc: in brogue have a narrow and highly impactful range of choices
Kyzrati: yep
zxc: in cogmind you have a massive range of choices, varying between insignificant to highly impactful
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:04:46 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon