Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 03:11:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 6] keyboard command is cancelled for no reason  (Read 1037 times)

Jiyva

• Derelict
    • View Profile
[Beta 6] keyboard command is cancelled for no reason
« on: July 06, 2018, 12:45:15 AM »

Hi,
Thank you for making such an awesome game. I loving using keyboard mode (DCSS player).

Below is the bug description.

*Circumstance
  Keyboard mode

*What happened & How to reproduce the bug
  1. Use "d" to open the data sheet of a neutral or hostile robot.
  2. Use arrow key to go to the component section and hit "enter" to open the detail information box of any part on that robot.
  3. Click "esc" and then quickly click "up" or "down" arrow key. You will then find the focus box moves up (down) first and mysteriously jumps back to its original position.

I like performing some quick consecutive actions in game and this bug is quite annoying to players like me :p. At first I thought this was due to system corruption of my robot. But I was able to reproduce the bug when the corruption level was 0%.

I attached the screenshot for your reference.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 6] keyboard command is cancelled for no reason
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 01:10:14 AM »

Hi Jivya, welcome and glad you like it! I'm a kb-mode player myself, so I normally rely on others to help point out just mouse issues, but it's true I don't normally use this particular feature so here we are xD

Thanks for the detailed report. At first I looked into this just now and noticed that the behavior was intentional, but that was because of an earlier fix I needed to make to the main/first info window (e.g. that for the robot), not realizing that the same behavior would also be copied over the the second (item) window as well! Basically I just needed to tell the second window to ignore this particular behavior (the first window needs it to properly restore the marker position on the map once you close the last window).

I've fixed this for Beta 7 and it won't do that anymore.

(And note that corruption won't do anything to change UI behavior--that would just be mean :P)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »

Oh yeah, and
(DCSS player)
I guessed as much before I opened the thread, hehe ;)

Jiyva

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »

Hi Jivya, welcome and glad you like it! I'm a kb-mode player myself, so I normally rely on others to help point out just mouse issues, but it's true I don't normally use this particular feature so here we are xD

Thanks for the detailed report. At first I looked into this just now and noticed that the behavior was intentional, but that was because of an earlier fix I needed to make to the main/first info window (e.g. that for the robot), not realizing that the same behavior would also be copied over the the second (item) window as well! Basically I just needed to tell the second window to ignore this particular behavior (the first window needs it to properly restore the marker position on the map once you close the last window).

I've fixed this for Beta 7 and it won't do that anymore.

(And note that corruption won't do anything to change UI behavior--that would just be mean :P)

Great job! Happy to know that this bug won't appear in the next version.

I do have another suggestion related to this topic. Currently vi-keys don't work on status or data info box while numpad and arrow keys do. I use vi-keys exclusively so I have to switch to numpad or arrow keys whenever I want to check hostile robot's part. This is not a bug by itself but a distraction to the in-game "flow" experience (a psychological concept). Considering that checking hostile robots' parts is not an infrequent operation, these distractions quick add up and can have negative impact on the overall in-game experience.

From the point of view of consistence, vi-key, numpad and arrow keys should exhibit the same behavior under most circumstances.

I don't know if you use vi-keys or not, but I would be really happy if this "issue" can be resolved.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 07:53:16 PM »

I don't use vi keys myself (I'm a numpad player), but about 6.2% of Cogmind players do.

And oh yeah, it was originally just arrow keys but I added numpad later on request (from a numpad player) and now we have our first vi request :P. I'll add that, too (I think originally I wanted to keep from using letters there because I wasn't sure if/what letters we'd need for accessing potential submenus, but for now it looks like there is no overlap).

Technically you could enable this yourself in Beta 6 by activating keybinding and setting Help Previous (2) and Help Next (2) to k/j, respectively, though that's probably more trouble than it's worth. It'll work automatically in Beta 7.

Jiyva

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »

I don't use vi keys myself (I'm a numpad player), but about 6.2% of Cogmind players do.

And oh yeah, it was originally just arrow keys but I added numpad later on request (from a numpad player) and now we have our first vi request :P. I'll add that, too (I think originally I wanted to keep from using letters there because I wasn't sure if/what letters we'd need for accessing potential submenus, but for now it looks like there is no overlap).

Technically you could enable this yourself in Beta 6 by activating keybinding and setting Help Previous (2) and Help Next (2) to k/j, respectively, though that's probably more trouble than it's worth. It'll work automatically in Beta 7.

Awesome! Your method is helpful. Looking forward to Beta 7 :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:31:50 PM »

Haha yeah me too, this one's taking a while but it's a pretty major new feature... plus all the other stuff that'll come along with it!