Grid Sage Forums

• April 29, 2024, 05:30:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Armies for the Aspiring General  (Read 2388 times)

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Armies for the Aspiring General
« on: May 30, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »

I seem to have sparked some interest in the army strategy. And I'm not going to lie, it can be boring at times. Building an army is a frustrating resetfest before you have 4 hacking suites and cleaning up after them(purging) can be an annoying endeavor as they kill the squads sent to kill you raising the alert level. It's not uncommon to hit alert 5 before the factory.

BUT, raising an army is cool and worth doing at least once so you can enjoy the fireworks. 10 weapon slots? Pfft. Try 10 H-66 Slayers each with 2 KE Penetrators.

Preparing for the Army

You'll need
2 Hacking Suites.
2 Hcp. Matter Storage Units.

Get yourself a hacking suite off an o or through unenhanced hacks.
Get Hcp. Matter Storage units the same way.

Hack Schematic(Imp. Hacking units)
Hack Schematic(H-66 Slayer)

Find a fabricator through hacking or exploration.

Establishing a Perimeter

Your soldiers WILL blow up your production facilities if you let them near them. Keeping them away and keeping you safe is a priority. Establishing perimeters around key points is essential to the function of a military.

Use the GUARD command to form squads. Assign 1-3 units as squad members to officer units. Command the officers to GOTO positions that block off access to the key structure.

As you produce, you'll need to make matter runs. Chances are your soldiers will be killing things and dropping matter like mad, use it to fuel your army.

Optional: If you can contain a terminal within your perimiter do so. This isn't mandatory, but it helps a boatload with the next step.

Maintaining Your Army

Aries make a lot of noise. I hit alert level 4 in pretty much every run by the second evolution. This is why you have your hacking suites.

Use Alert(Purge) until you get the message "No threats on record".

Mobilizing Your Army

Moving from point to point can be difficult. Important assets can be easily blown up on accident if you don't take the necessary steps.

Finding a Terminal is your first priority on every floor.

Use Index(Machines) if you have hacking suites. Index(Fabricators) and Index(Terminals) if not.
Use this to plot a path to the Fabricator to resupply. If you have hacking suites also use Access(Main) to plan an exit strategy.

DO NOT allow your units near Fabricators. Ideally you don't want them near Terminals either, but there are always spares.

Bait enemies surrounding key points to your army. Being able to fly is handy since it makes it easier to get behind your army when the fighting starts. Crossfire is scary as hell.

Once a point has been flushed go move on to Establishing a Perimeter and either build up or flush the alert.

Continue ad infinitum.

The only things that should change are what you build. Better flying units are nice if you want to carry a boatload as are defenses for safer baiting. Robots are the biggie though as everything else is up to taste.

The things you want to build at each fabber level are
Level 1
H-66 Slayer
Level 2
Unknown
Level 3
Unknown

Ideally you want units that don't have explosives with decent dodge chances or a boatload of health. Think of dodge modifiers as health multipliers.

I don't know what those are at the high end because I'd been mucking about on the easy floors gathering data. When I get far I start running away a lot more so I'm not sure what relative strengths are up there(yet). Any help would be appreciated.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Armies for the Aspiring General
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »

Woah fascinating strategy, was wondering the viability of a minion army, curious to see how far you can get.

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »

Woah fascinating strategy, was wondering the viability of a minion army, curious to see how far you can get.
Not very. Alert 5 is rough and tiny mistakes can screw you over pretty easily. I have no idea how it builds so damn fast. One minor skirmish and you're at alert 3 from 0.

Until I know what to make at a level 2 Fabricator this won't get you past the Factory. You WILL however get insane scores. 2500 easily before you exit Materials.

Once you've established a position you're nigh-untouchable. It's moving that's hard. Finding the first terminal and getting an index is essential to your survival. Capturing a fabricator with an army in tow is the hard part. You need to make sure your army doesn't destroy it, your enemies don't destroy it, you don't get locked out, and you have safe access to enough matter.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 08:17:34 PM »

And here I am, sitting proud of myself because I successfully built a Remote Datajack once.

jpka

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 08:50:36 PM »

Remote Shield Generator(TM), so they can't say that you don't help out. ;)