Grid Sage Forums

• April 28, 2024, 08:20:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: SITREP Saturday #18: Achieving Progress  (Read 1690 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
SITREP Saturday #18: Achieving Progress
« on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:42 PM »

Previously I was spending a lot of time planning for, deciding on, and making icons for achievements, while this week I actually started implementing them :P

The plan was to get them all done this week, and of 256 I finished 204 so far, but didn't quite make it to the end of the week in good enough condition to actually finish xD. On Thursday some random lady on a bike ran into me (I was stationary), seriously spraining my right wrist so I'm suddenly one-handed right now and working more slowly... (typed all this on one hand, I did!)

I do have the final set of icons to share though! This is the "wins" category--yeah there are a lot of different ways to win :D

I'm thoroughly testing all achievements to keep them as polished and bug-free as you'd expect from a Cogmind release. It's kinda fun to quickly come up with the right tests via the debugging features... Here's an example I happened to record where I was running a bunch of Decoder Chips at once.

Of course to facilitate testing I also needed to see achievements as they're earned, so that part of the UI is in place now as well. Achievement icons and names pop up over the map as they're earned.

They're also recorded to the message log.

(As you'd expect, these features are adjustable in the config.)

AFD Mode

This week some of you may have noticed we had a little surprise event where all the parts turned into random launchers.

On Steam it was only mentioned in the form of a semi-announcement in the discussions board (although it was a top-level announcement on my forums, r/Cogmind, and Twitter).

Honestly I didn't have anything planned for April 1st this year, but Cogmind Let's Player nuzcraft asked me about it that morning and got me thinking. I had a couple hours free and decided to really really quickly implement "AFD Mode." It was pretty fun and I'd like to do more of this kind of thing in the future, though as usual there are other important priorities right now so I dunno when.

If you missed the day itself and still want to try it out, with the latest version of Cogmind (it was a stealth update, still just called "Beta 5") you can temporarily set your system clock to April 1st to fool it into loading that mode ;)

Need More?

If you're still reading and would like a lot more to browse, in case you missed it before I've also published my entire POLYBOT-7 postmortem, about the time spent converting Cogmind into another game, as a single article over on Gamasutra. They even featured it on their front page, which was pretty cool :D. Altogether it's a... 10,000-word 45-image/diagram "novelette!"

Have a bonus gif of one of the things I was working with this week, watching AI bot trails off in the darkness as they build a new map (which is revealed at the end).

Next week is going to be almost entirely about achievements UI work!

Since a lot of the relevant SITREP discussion happens on Steam rather than in the forums, for reference here's a link to this same news on Steam. But feel free to post replies here, too :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Re: SITREP Saturday #18: Achieving Progress
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »

Hey man! Great sitrep, looking forward to achievements. Be healthy for once!

Also, AFD mode was so fun. It was great seeing everyone try to figure out a way around the handicap of 'too many launchers'.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »

Heh, yeah I guess I should've balanced the bad news with the good news that a week and a half ago we found a new acupuncture approach which, finally a year after getting that concussion, has significantly restored both my vision and mental functions :)

And I hadn't seen you around the Discord recently so I wasn't sure if you knew about the AFD mode you precipitated, good to hear!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »

That's great news!

I've been in and out, school's ramping up, which means less playing and more paper writing :(

b_sen

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:38:04 PM »

Also, AFD mode was so fun. It was great seeing everyone try to figure out a way around the handicap of 'too many launchers'.

I'm still slowly working on what I can do with so many launchers; in the BOOMy combat spirit of the mode, I'm planning to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, yeah I guess I should've balanced the bad news with the good news that a week and a half ago we found a new acupuncture approach which, finally a year after getting that concussion, has significantly restored both my vision and mental functions :)

Yes, you should have. :P  That's great to hear! :)

I've been in and out, school's ramping up, which means less playing and more paper writing :(

Oh yes, me too.  Good luck with the papers!