Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 11:55:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Weekly Seed #117 [Beta 5] [Seed: GravityFieldAccelerator]  (Read 1691 times)

zxc

• Cogmind
  • 1st place in the High Scores category during Alpha Challenge 2015 1st place in the Best Escapes category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Wiki Contributor Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
Weekly Seed #117 [Beta 5] [Seed: GravityFieldAccelerator]
« on: March 18, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »

This week's seed: GravityFieldAccelerator

The Weekly Seed is open to anyone, and we encourage you to share your experiences, stories, and tactics over the course of your run.

The rules are as follows:
  • The Weekly Seed begins from the date this thread is posted and lasts about seven days.
  • Make sure you are running the correct version of Cogmind (see thread subject).
  • Enter the seed and abort your current game to initiate the seed (more details are below).
  • Verify you are not running the tutorial and that the screenshots below match your game.
  • Play through the game once. This is a friendly event and we are all honest people.
  • When finished, post your scoresheet here (it should be the newest file in /scores) and any other screenshots/stories/strategies you wish to share with the community.
  • If you want to share details about the seed or your approach, make sure you use spoiler tags.
  • Due to the spoilerific nature of this thread, be sure to avoid reading details about the seed if you haven't completed your run.
  • As Cogmind now has multiple difficulty modes and challenges which will affect the world generation, by default it is assumed everyone is playing on regular difficulty with no challenges enabled. You are free to use whichever settings you wish, but if you intend on discussing it, be sure to specify what difficulty/challenges you're using!

Good luck and have fun!

HOW TO ENTER A SEED

Press F1 to go to the MENU, select OPTIONS, select Seed, and enter this week's seed:

Select GAME, select ABORT:

If you have followed the steps [Manual seed applied: GravityFieldAccelerator] should display in the log window.

Congratulations on entering the seed, now get in there!

Laida

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Seed #117 [Beta 5] [Seed: GravityFieldAccelerator]
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:24:12 AM »

Ok, now I want to be really brief.
I just died at the deep caves. AGAIN.  >:(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nuzcraft

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 11:13:02 AM »

Woo! My second win!!

After seeing Pimski's flight setup video here, I decided to give it a shot!

Unlike Pim, I really enjoyed the first few levels; running around on treads looking for the specific items I wanted and blowing stuff up. On sublevel 8 I even went into storage! Unfortunately, I didn't get much out of it :(

At sublevel 7, I made the switch to flight and started getting around pretty quick. Looking back, I really should have spent more time on -7 hacking terminals for good schematics and things of that nature. I think it would have really helped me later on. Anyway I went into the lower caves.

Spoiler: Lower Caves (click to show/hide)

At sublevel 6, I started getting careless. I took risks I didn't need to and the result was that I didn't get to stay and hang out as much as I wanted to. Similar to -7, I think I would have benefited from additional time here. I skipped the branches on this level intentionally.

Sublevel 5 was similar to sublevel 6, and I soon made my way into the upper caves.

Spoiler: Upper Caves (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Research and Up (click to show/hide)

This was a SUPER fun run. I'm really excited to polish up my flying skills and get some of that juicy juicy lore!

Spoiler: Score: 31729 (click to show/hide)

This run, like all my others, will be uploaded to my Youtube Channel, though not for a few weeks. I try to get Cogmind content up M, W, F.
I occasionally stream on Twitch, stop by if you see me on.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 11:28:48 PM »

Well nuzcraft you beat me :P

I streamed this run () and decided to focus on trying a wheels-only combat build! (so note that this is a pretty atypical build, though in the right hands it can wreak some major havoc and actually be one of the better approaches to combat given the right strategy)

I did manage to stick to wheels throughout the whole thing, although unfortunately there were a couple very short periods where I attached other forms of propulsion to serve as a bit of armor so it wasn't a 100% strict wheels run like I tried on my own some time ago (there is some non-wheel propulsion in the scoresheet xD).

I added only 1 weapon slot at the beginning, and all the rest went into utilities except for a second power slot later on because I kept running into energy issues.

It was actually a pretty decent run! Mistakes were made, as usual, but with the right tactics I got out of plenty of hairy situations. Research is even less forgiving though :P

Managed to track down a couple Arm. Huge Wheels once in Factory, which really helped out.
I also downloaded the Arm. Wheel schematic, but didn't get a chance to use it since I spent relatively little time in the Factory.

You can see in that shot that early on I also had a bank of EM Shotguns--EM was a theme throughout the run, using either those, or Gamma Rifles, or Proton Cannons, and at one point later a Com. HERF Cannon (although by that point I unfortunately didn't have my Particle Charger or Weapon Cycler anymore, and never came across a Quantum Capacitor).

As we all know, Proximity Caves can be... dangerous!
That was just one of many hairy situations...

Here's the Proton Cannon build I had going for a while, here where I acquired a Programmer friend shortly after entering -5 where my drone spotted a Worker pushing him along...

Check out all those utility slots...

I was being extra careful in Quarantine, since I was afraid of my high corruption prompting Researchers to scan me, but eventually made it out through a lot of careful play. At this point my build was pretty decent, aside from the crappy wheels I kept just sourcing from non-combat bots xD

But there were a number of heavy fights in -2/Research, and I went down after a while. It turned out to be a pretty long main pathway from the entrance with too many bots passing through. (Well, there was another path but it passed by a Cyclops right next to a Garrison so I noped out of that direction :P) I successfully avoided getting into the wrong fights that way in earlier floors, but here I didn't and it cost me...

The main issue was a lack of supporting utilities for a while there at the end, so I had a bit too much junk attached and not high enough offensive efficiency.

Was still a lot of fun, even if I did have to leave behind lots of nice treads ;)

Probably the lack of any launchers past the early game was what made it especially hard. I had Proton Missiles for a while, but those are often more trouble than they're worth.

Spoiler: Score: 14,394 (click to show/hide)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon