Grid Sage Forums

• April 30, 2024, 07:59:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Suspicious email  (Read 4970 times)

Asa7

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Suspicious email
« on: May 29, 2015, 05:26:51 AM »

Hey,
I got a strange email that was supposed to be from your company. None of the links point to where they say they do. Just a php script on some wordpress blog.

Email is as follows:

Grid Sage Games gridsagegames@gmail.com via smtp6.ymlpsv.com
2:10 AM (2 hours ago)

to me
First of all, a huge thanks to all Cogmind Alpha Access supporters! Even without major media coverage (okay, we did get an article in Rock, Paper, Shotgun ), the launch was a great success.

This is not the Grid Sage Games Newsletter mailing list, but a separate list intended only for sending out notices each time a new version of Cogmind has been released. Those will begin soon, but today there is one issue to get out of the way first: supporter rewards.

As you all know there are several rewards associated with the alpha access program, some of which require that you provide additional information. To provide your preferred name(s) for the in-game supporters list and item attribution reward, fill out the form linked from the original download email received when you purchased the game. The form takes like 1 minute to fill out, so please do that as soon as possible to prevent delays. If you need any help or have questions, feel free to reply to this email.

Also, for anyone who got the Advanced Tier, remember to also submit the separate t-shirt info form linked from that same email--don't make me guess your shirt size!

For anyone else who hasn't yet but might want to, t-shirts are still available for a limited time as described at the bottom of the buy page .

Future alpha updates will be announced via the forums , Reddit , Indie DB , Facebook  and Twitter , so if you follow any of those you can chose to unsubscribe from this mailing list if you prefer not to receive email notices. Note that if the "News/Updates" feature is activated in the game options, you'll also be notified in game when there is a newer version.

Thank you for your support!

Josh Ge / Kyzrati
Grid Sage Games

Let me know if this is from your company.

All links point to (I didn't even try to click it):

http://t.ymlp243.net/ehagaesbwjafauwmavauuuj/click.php

Warmist

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: Suspicious email
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 05:33:33 AM »

Grid Sage Games gridsagegames@gmail.com via smtp6.ymlpsv.com
Usually the "via some_other_domain" is indication that somebody is impersonating somebody. However in this case there are some companies that manage automated mailing. If you go to "http://www.ymlpsv.com/" you will see that it's a mailing/newlist provider.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 05:35:00 AM »

Whoa, damn. They messed the links up when I copied them over...

Great. I did send that today. Thanks for the notice. Now I guess I have to send *another* email and hope people don't think this is spam... it's supposed to be the update mailing list!

Sorry about that. YMLP is the mailing list provider. They really do suck sometimes :/
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:39:04 AM »

Hm, I just checked and those links do all go where they're supposed to. I shouldn't let them redirect links like that. They're using it for click-counting purposes.

Now that I look at it, this has been the case with all my previous newsletters, but no one brought it up and most everyone's been clicking on the links, anyway. I think it's possible to turn that off in the options--I didn't realize that's how they were checking clicks, but it makes sense. Since it's not a normal newsletter, just an optional update notice for Alpha Access participants, I don't really care to count clicks.

Asa7

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »

Just glad to know it was from you. Never clicked any links so I didn't realize they redirected to the actual source. Thanks for letting me know.

Asa7

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »

Have you tried MailChimp instead of YMLP? I've heard good things about the monkey.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 01:37:18 AM »

I was actually planning to switch to MailChimp. Orders actually import the email addresses into MailChimp, and this time I copied the mailing list manually over to my YMLP account before sending out the notice. YMLP is cheaper, for one, but they aren't quite as reliable. Their service was down completely for like a week this year and they had terrible communication during the whole thing.

Problem is MailChimp is quite expensive considering I don't need to send that many emails. It's more for high-volume emailers, and is priced as such. I may consider it again in the future, but for now I've decided to stick with YMLP a while longer...