Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 04:43:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Guaranteed sensors  (Read 941 times)

Xii

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
    • HyperTele
Guaranteed sensors
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »

Pacifist runs live and die by their sensors. Once spotted in the early game, especially by swarmers, your only remaining option is to look for the nearest exit while getting shot at.

Therefore, I ask that a guaranteed sensors (and maybe interpreter?) generate on the lowest levels.

Consider that a combat run can very reliably acquire sensors anyway by destroying a scout; something only pacifists can't do. This addition wouldn't really impact most players' runs; basic sensors are common.

It would, however, make a lot of pacifist runs more reliably viable in the early game.
As it currently stands, some pacifist runs just die randomly because you turn a corner into a squad. Since this happens in the early game, it's not a humongous time loss, but it'd be... polite, to grant us this crutch.

Consider all the other guaranteed items already present in the early game -- starting parts, storage units, grenade launcher

This addition would slightly elevate Cogmind as a stealth roguelike. There are not many stealth roguelikes out there. It would raise Cogmind's status in that particular niche.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Guaranteed sensors
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 04:34:50 PM »

There is no guaranteed grenade launcher, by the way. The only semi-guaranteed objects are storage units ("semi" because technically that location can still fail to spawn, although that's unlikely to repeatedly happen on all the floors they appear).

I'll add something in this regard, although I'm not sure just how much this will help since you'd still have to find them, and the chances of hitting a patrol before that point are relatively high.

Cogmind is very much a stealth roguelike already, it just doesn't immediately start out as a pacifist stealth roguelike!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Xii

• Derelict
  • Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
    • HyperTele
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 07:35:18 AM »

There is no guaranteed grenade launcher, by the way.
Oh? Huh, interesting. I had formed an intuition that this was the case. :)

I'll add something in this regard, although I'm not sure just how much this will help since you'd still have to find them, and the chances of hitting a patrol before that point are relatively high.
Great! I very much appreciate that ;D

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 08:39:16 PM »

Oh? Huh, interesting. I had formed an intuition that this was the case. :)
Yeah it is indeed very likely, just like it's likely that you'll find other low-rating items on the first/early maps. Could be easy to assume based on past experience :P
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon