Grid Sage Forums

• September 20, 2024, 07:06:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Simple search box for Lore Collection  (Read 1657 times)

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Simple search box for Lore Collection
« on: October 11, 2019, 06:16:06 PM »

Spent a lot of time trying to find specific pieces of lore in my collection and realized it is really time consuming and difficult to do.

A simple search box at the top of the lore collection or something would make it immeasurably more useful and immersive, imho.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Simple search box for Lore Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »

Yeah I've considered it, but only for a split second because one thing leads to another--there would be more related requests--and it wouldn't really be worth all the effort, especially since this functionality is already handled by your browser/text editor of choice seeing as you can export all your lore and explore it that way. It has to be done outside the game, but they are effective tools and there are three formats available. (Did you know that? All your discovered lore can be output to HTML, TXT, or CSV--look at the buttons on that page :D)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Trione

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 07:38:41 PM »

Yeah, I knew about exporting... it's just clunky, not fun to do, and completely breaks the immersion of the game.  A robot can't search through its own archives?  And then you literally have to leave the game, find a file on your disk, and open it in another program to look anything up in your lore?

It seems odd to me you'd want to leave it that way given that the lore is hugely important to how the game is played, you regularly recommend users re-read it more carefully, and the in game lore system is basically unusable currently.
It seems immersion is also a high priority with the rest of the game, with even the manual and achievements being fully browseable and sortable in game.

Yeah I've considered it, but only for a split second because one thing leads to another--there would be more related requests

I would guess there would likely be fewer requests for clarifications around the lore and lore system if it were usable in game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:00:14 PM by Trione »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:02:14 PM »

Building search features is opening a big can of worms, something that text editors are already quite good at so I decided to offload it there.

Quite true about the immersion, but this is meta data anyway, which in non-roguelike fashion persists between runs, so I don't mind it in this case.

I would guess there would likely be fewer requests for clarifications around the lore and lore system if it were usable in game.
Hm, but I don't really get a bunch of requests about that.

Again, given unlimited time sure I'd love to do this, but even with a mostly complete game I still have a massive list of potential features, most of which will never see the light of day, so in the end as a developer (much less a lone dev) there is a lot of prioritizing and cutting. This is low priority. (I could add it to the list of features that patrons can vote for if they want to see it in a future release though, since that never hurts and maybe there's enough support for it? My guess is reception will be very lukewarm compared to other possible features, though.)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon