Grid Sage Forums

• May 21, 2024, 04:51:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Way to see RIF hack menu from coupler  (Read 949 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Way to see RIF hack menu from coupler
« on: September 21, 2019, 03:23:02 AM »

It might be nice if you could see the RIF hack menu for a given coupler (especially for combat bots) to decide whether you want to keep it attached or not without having to actually be around one of the relevant robots. (That is, to see the available hacks and how much they cost.) Maybe you could open it from the info window for a coupler?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Way to see RIF hack menu from coupler
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 05:18:30 AM »

Yeah I considered it at the beginning, but there are no plans to add this. In general I think it's not worth it because all of the [NC] bots use the same coupler, so that one's always useful, and all of the combat bots have the exact same hacks, so there really isn't much of a reason to know whether you'd want to keep one once you're generally familiar with combat RIF capabilities.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 06:26:06 PM »

I think it would be more useful if you're playing a run where you use RIF couplers opportunistically but mostly use combat or infowar or hacking - to check if there's anything useful left in the coupler you have attached, or if it would be better to replace with something else. Especially if you don't have any more couplers in stock to add more charges.

Of course the player (me) can always take notes outside of the game on what the menu is so it's not a big deal. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »

Certainly there are some use cases, the key being whether it's worth development time because that's a rather time-consuming feature (and also outside the normal UI practices) for something that arguably isn't too important.

At least an outside reference can serve that purpose for those who really want it. Players put this info into the community spreadsheet some time ago (WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS IN OTHER PARTS OF THAT SPREADSHEET).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon