Grid Sage Forums

• May 22, 2024, 05:49:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Buff Integration Mediators  (Read 602 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Buff Integration Mediators
« on: March 24, 2018, 05:58:46 AM »

This has been suggested (indirectly) before, but I will put it here directly:

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=567.msg4944#msg4944

I think integration mediators might see more use if they reduced time cost in addition to matter and energy for attaching / swapping parts. Kyzrati mentioned in the previous thread that utilities provide "a single benefit" but that already seems to be reducing the cost of attaching parts, why not expand it to include time cost? Right now it seems to me like they offer the most benefit to combat builds doing lots of swapping, and until you have a ton of slots near the end of the game that isn't enough to really want to use one over the other combat utilities that are available. (Also you will not have so many slots with things you want to swap out until near the end of the game.) Combat builds already tend to have plenty of energy and come across plenty of matter, so reducing the energy and matter costs for them is not so significant.

The possibly optimal strategy of keeping one in your inventory and swapping it in first before making lots of other swaps is something I just thought of, but a little boring. Maybe they should also be changed to processors to discourage that and balance the buff.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Buff Integration Mediators
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:08:16 AM »

I think this was before your time with Cogmind, but a while back I mentioned we'd eventually have a "Great Utility Update" where we could entertain all the ideas to rework specific utilities that don't quite fit into the game as well as they otherwise could (or even need to be removed, although I generally prefer reworking things rather than outright removal).

But I haven't gotten to that "update" in particular, instead just occasionally (so far) adjusting utility effects as they've become pertinent to what I'm working on at the time. This would fall under that category--not something great, but not pressing either, so I can add it to the list of references I have. This might be something to change later, a tweak I'd prefer to consider in the bigger picture along with other utilities.

That'll probably happen, just too many other things in the way. It's currently still on the long-term/non-prioritized list so it won't be within the next few releases.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon