Grid Sage Forums

• May 17, 2024, 08:48:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 11? 11.1?] IFF filter rewrite sound effect is global (spoilers)  (Read 998 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely sure about this, but i think when a 0b10 bot's IFF filter get rewritten because of fabnets, it triggers a sound effect, and that sound effect is global?
As in, you can hear it from anywhere on the map?

It could be intentional for all i know, but it's weird sometimes hearing a sound effect with no apparent cause.

I mean, i'm certain i heard that sound effect with seemingly nothing happening around back in Beta 11 or Beta 11.1, and while i don't remember if that happened to me in Beta 11.2, i did learn of the sound effect's source while playing it (Beta 11.2).

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11? 11.1?] IFF filter rewrite sound effect is global (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 04:33:22 PM »

Indeed that's a global sound, since it's not considered an environmental SFX but currently categorized as UI sound (all of which play "globally"). When originally designed, bothacking was its only source, but later reusing it for any other case of assimilation spread to fabnet, where the same application may not always be desirable. Good catch.

There are in fact many places this one was reused while still being categorized as UI, so I'll have to look at those as well (in general most of these things happening far away are not very likely, so it hasn't been easy to notice :P).

Unfortunately some could be problematic because the original sound design itself assumed it would always be intended as a UI effect, so I'll have to listen again and decide how to deal with that.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 11? 11.1?] IFF filter rewrite sound effect is global (spoilers)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 01:32:05 AM »

Heh, working through the backlog and just got to this one and there's even a note in the code saying "this SFX isn't really designed to be used with fabnet but I'm using it anyway" :P

Edit: Hm, actually I wonder if you heard something else, because apparently what I did in this case (fabnet) was make it such that the audio is simply tied to the log message, i.e. you wouldn't hear anything if you couldn't see it anyway! That said, it's tied to the "player" being able to see it, not Cogmind, so maybe if you had drones out at the time offering a view of some distant fabnet effect??? (either way, it would have to also be in your log if that was indeed the cause). In any case, I'm thinking what you heard might have been one of the other usages of this sound, so I'll go through and add a few more checks to ensure player sight wherever that occurs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:44:53 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon