Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 03:16:02 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 9.6] Shift + mouse movement jumps view to the current cursor location.  (Read 2225 times)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile

Panning the map via shift+mouse_movement jumps view to the current cursor location, before properly moving the map view.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Not sure how to repeat what you're referring to here, everything appears to be working as intended. I use this feature all the time while debugging, too... Could you be a little more specific? What are the circumstances? Panning seems to work normally for me both windowed and fullscreen, and I would've thought we'd have heard about this before if there was something that wrong with it, considering a lot of people use this!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile

I start with my view centered on Cogmind, see screenshot.png. Note that my cursor is on the right, next to the parts list (in red circle). I hold down shift. So far, so good.
Then I move my mouse down and left. The moment I mouse over a different tile (while still holding shift) than the one I had my mouse on when I pressed shift, the view centers on tile marked by cursor. I moved my mouse down and left, but I ended up moving my view right and up. Now the cursor is in the center of my view (see screenshot2.png) and map paning works properly from now on.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

Hm, I still can't repeat that, whether fullscreen or windowed. Same exact situation, works normally...

Maybe you have some other settings enabled that are changing behavior or something? I guess I could try the same with your config info.

The only other thing I can guess here (based on your screenshot) is that once you reach those "visible cells" you're talking about, you're also eventually panning around the edge of the map, which isn't allowed to be panned such that more than half the view is empty, although you can still continue moving your cursor at that point, which could potentially result in a jump if your cursor then changes direction or comes back somewhere else, though it doesn't quite sound like that's what you're describing, especially since your second screenshot is centered over the other cell...

Can you repeat this on any map in any situation? Or only certain places? Since that could be a reason I can't repeat it, dunno... If you can't then I guess I'd need a save to see the specific situation.

Valguris

• Cyborg
    • View Profile

I play in fullscreen. The bug occurs every time, on every map (even far away from borders). I'm not sure when it started.
I attach my config file and the save.

I checked my early Beta 9 (before 9.1?) stream and noticed no issue there.

I recall I had a similar problem (more severe, though, making map panning via mouse unusable) around Beta 4 or 5, but it fixed itself a version or two later.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind

All of this is especially weird because nothing about panning or mouse behavior has changed since alpha! Seems like this might be something specific to your computer setup rather than the game itself? Even more so because the effect has been appearing and disappearing on its own... (Would be interesting if you have access to multiple computers and could compare.)

If anyone else can confirm that would be helpful, but that's my guess at this point since I still can't repeat any oddities even with these files :/

Everything works normally here, where the only possible jump is if you're at the edge of the map as described earlier and still moving the cursor beyond and back in again later, but that's intended/expected behavior. I use this feature every day (and throughout my streams while looking around/showing people stuff) and haven't encountered it. I guess at this point I'd be extra curious if you can repeat this on another machine, or if anyone else can...