Grid Sage Forums

• May 01, 2024, 10:48:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: [Beta 8.2] Flying over multitile bots via mouse causes weird movements.  (Read 780 times)

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile

I stepped up to a friendly derelict behemoth (Marauder?). Then I clicked the tile on the other side of the behemoth to move there. Cogmind would jump over the behemoth to the destination and then immediately jump back. If I order to move further away, the move right after jumping over the behemoth is often in the wrong direction.

This bug happened in version 8.2, but I didn't see anything similar appearing in the patch notes for Beta 9.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: [Beta 8.2] Flying over multitile bots via mouse causes weird movements.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 02:25:18 AM »

Weird, easy to repeat, just saw it. No idea why that started happening, pretty sure this worked fine before... Maybe something up with one of the new flight movement QoL features? Especially interesting that it's not an issue with keyboard movement though.

Even weirder, it only happens with 2x2 bots, not 3x3!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 02:26:56 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 02:46:42 AM »

My uneducated guess is that Cogmind tries to follow the highlighted path exactly, but does not take into account that 2 tiles were skipped, so for the next step it goes towards one of the skipped tiles, resulting in a weird behaviour.
Maybe if you skip 3 tiles, Cogmind tries to move onto a tile that is not adjacent to it, and therefore recalculates the path?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 02:55:55 AM »

I've written a reply here several times and keep rewriting it as I think of new stuff xD

Yeah that does seem to be the case--it's creating a path, hopping to the target, but still has old positions so it's trying to go to those next and ends up hopping back. Still have to locate the actual source but yeah...

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 03:23:27 AM »

Okay, fixed for next release, just needed to remove the extra cells that were jumped from their path. Surprised that's been in there for so long! (Although the fact that it only happens when there are no enemies in view, and only at certain angles, makes it less likely to be discovered...)

It wasn't happening for even larger bots because after the jump there was a disconnect in the path, so it couldn't follow and gave up. 2x2 was small enough that there was no disconnect--they were still adjacent to the next cell in the path, but it would send them in the reverse direction!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:25:11 AM by Kyzrati »