Grid Sage Forums

• May 15, 2024, 11:01:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Energy weapon range extender  (Read 848 times)

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Energy weapon range extender
« on: May 26, 2019, 01:06:11 AM »

An item to extend the range of energy weapons, perhaps +2 +4 +6 +8 if given tiers. Range Extender? Attenuation Filter? Magnetic Lens? I don't know, you do such a good job coming up with evocative item names. :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Energy weapon range extender
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 04:32:11 AM »

Hm, trying to get me to add a new mechanic by flattering my item naming, are we?! ;)

I do try to make it both reasonable/fitting and also cool as a secondary consideration.

Anyway, this would be something suitable for the patron mechanic voting (though I imagine people will generally want something more wild? not sure, either way this could potentially be a more common mechanic), voting which will come before too long here, actually.

Certainly possible, either way, although I'm not currently in favor of adding yet more utilities that augment weapons, increasing the value of utility slots over weapon slots.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Joshua

• Sigix
  • Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Combat Win Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »

Hm, trying to get me to add a new mechanic by flattering my item naming, are we?! ;)

I do try to make it both reasonable/fitting and also cool as a secondary consideration.

Anyway, this would be something suitable for the patron mechanic voting (though I imagine people will generally want something more wild? not sure, either way this could potentially be a more common mechanic), voting which will come before too long here, actually.

Certainly possible, either way, although I'm not currently in favor of adding yet more utilities that augment weapons, increasing the value of utility slots over weapon slots.

Not trying to flatter, just submit an idea. I thought the Ideas forum was the place to do so. :)

Upsides are it could be cool, playing into the tactical aspects of combat and reinforcing the utility of visual processors. You could add a similar defensive utility that reduces the distance at which enemies can hit you with energy weapons too.

Downsides are it might make what is arguably already the most powerful weapon type even better and make a complicated combat system even more complicated. Maybe the idea of manipulating the range of attacks is better suited for another game that doesn't already have so many complicated systems.

Re: patron voting, it seems that you're more focused on reaching 1.0 and limiting the addition of new mechanics at this point than previously, which is fair enough. I offer suggestions as just that, because they're ideas that sound cool to me but maybe have troublesome implications as a game designer (and the need to make a living, which I am amazed you are able to do based on your description of Cogmind's budget). I think I've said this before but I've certainly got my money's worth from Cogmind in enjoyment and time spent. So, thank you.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »

Yup definitely more focused on reaching 1.0 in the near term, hence the current lack of releases while I work on one of the final huge yet vital parts of the roadmap. We can get back to adding more mechanics later, although technically even now in the interest of adding interesting content to each release there'll still be new stuff to play with alongside everything else (which makes Beta 9/10 take even longer than they already will xD).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon