Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 02:52:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Machine familiarity  (Read 2016 times)

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
Machine familiarity
« on: May 28, 2015, 05:20:59 AM »

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if this is really a bug, but I don't know where to ask.

Basically, I've noticed that my familiarity with Terminals keeps getting reset. I don't think I've ever seen it go past 5 or so. This is including use of a Imp. Footprint Analyzer, which should boost familiarity gain by 2. If there are arcane mechanics behind it, you don't necessarily have to explain how it works. If you'd prefer to keep us in the dark and let us figure it out ourselves, I'll understand :P I'm just not sure. Maybe it's reset on each floor, maybe it's per Terminal Security level, maybe I lose it every time I detach the Footprint Analyzer, maybe it's a bug. If it is, I can't even fathom what would be causing it - nearly every Terminal hack happens under unique circumstances.

Edit: Upon further inspection, I think the system is working correctly, I just don't know what that system is.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:49:53 AM by biomatter »

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
Re: Machine familiarity
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 02:19:57 PM »

Familiarity is with a particular model. You'll notice there are a bunch of differently shaped terminals. As you descend, new models pop up and you need to become familiar with them.

There's also the possibility you're experiencing an actual bug, which would suck.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:06:26 PM »

Arseface is correct. Familiarity is based on the specific model. So the later terminals are both more difficult and you're less familiar with them, but the most common single-cell 'T' terminal can be found throughout the game, and familiarity is most useful with that one.

Honestly I switched this back and forth a couple times during development, because I think a per-model approach is a little underpowered, and a per-type approach is overpowered. We could consider keeping the per-model approach and increasing the bonus a bit, because familiarity only gives you a +1~10% as is. It's really meant to be a pretty secondary benefit though, since there are other ways to more directly increase your chances, and this is the only method that doesn't require you to attach anything.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:15:04 PM »

As always, thank you for the intel! >:3

Kaz

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
  • Zzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 03:21:01 AM »

Honestly I switched this back and forth a couple times during development, because I think a per-model approach is a little underpowered, and a per-type approach is overpowered.

Why not do both and average the two values.  So I come up to a new recycling station model.  I've never seen this type of station before, but I've used plenty of recycling stations before and know the general concepts for recycling stations.  So I just have to work out which button does which common function on this particular model. :)

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 03:39:17 AM »

My suggestion would be to base it on tiers - e.g. you have familiarity with Security Lvl 1 Terminals, Lvl 2, and Lvl 3, and they are all separate. Same for the other machine types.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 04:29:21 AM »

Both are good suggestions. Hm.

The latter is probably a little easier for players follow.

I'll add these to the list and see what will work better internally, but making what familiarity you have more widely applicable is probably a good thing.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon