Grid Sage Forums

• May 06, 2024, 12:56:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Micromanagement when interacting with machines  (Read 2042 times)

nsg21

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Micromanagement when interacting with machines
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »

Small things, but may improve quality of life a little bit.

1. Terminal hacking equipment should give bonuses when connected to terminal even when not equipped, just in inventory (up to number of utility slots). After all, it is possible to unequip item, equip hackware, connect and then back in reverse. As far as I understand there is no point in carrying them equipped at all times, they are used only for terminal hacking.

2. It should be possible to insert equipped item into repair machine (or recycler or scanalyzer -- with paying matter/energy price if that's so important). I find myself going to repair station to repair my currently equipped power only to realize that it is still equipped, so I need to disconnect, reshuffle inventory connect again.

3. Part selection menu (when interacting with machine) should present them in same order and use same keyboard shortcuts as inventory. I looked at my inventory, decided to scan item 2, command scan and I have to read a new menu where items are in different order and have different shortcuts.

4. Is is part of a story that fabricators need matter in a container? Can they just subtract necessary amount from Cogmind's matter store?

5. Save history of manual commands not just across terminals, but also across different games. Hopefully it does not count as "meta affecting gameplay". I use Access(Main) a lot and I also die a lot, so have to retype it over and over.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:57:56 PM by nsg21 »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Micromanagement when interacting with machines
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:56 AM »

1. Terminal hacking equipment should give bonuses when connected to terminal even when not equipped, just in inventory (up to number of utility slots). After all, it is possible to unequip item, equip hackware, connect and then back in reverse. As far as I understand there is no point in carrying them equipped at all times, they are used only for terminal hacking.
I considered this, but it's not that simple for a couple reasons. One is there is a decent matter cost for swapping even a single part back and forth (10*2), much less multiple hacking parts. The other is something many of you haven't yet discovered or have use of, but attached hacking components actually help you outside machine hacking as well. They're used for both robot hacking (which may occur in the middle of combat) and even sometimes for passive hacking calculations when programmers are around and you have allies.

2. It should be possible to insert equipped item into repair machine (or recycler or scanalyzer -- with paying matter/energy price if that's so important). I find myself going to repair station to repair my currently equipped power only to realize that it is still equipped, so I need to disconnect, reshuffle inventory connect again.
Agreed. I think the reason I didn't do it that way before was because you often have multiples of the same part attached and/or inventory, and limiting repairs to inventory parts would make it more apparent which items are being referred to. That said, I could also add an "(attached)" tag to those items which are currently attached, which would make this more clear.

3. Part selection menu (when interacting with machine) should present them in same order and use same keyboard shortcuts as inventory. I looked at my inventory, decided to scan item 2, command scan and I have to read a new menu where items are in different order and have different shortcuts.
That's an interesting idea, and might help avoid some confusion as to which item is which. Of course you also might have a larger inventory than can be displayed with 1~0 (multi-page), in which case how are those assigned? There's no consistent way to handle it.

4. Is is part of a story that fabricators need matter in a container? Can they just subtract necessary amount from Cogmind's matter store?
Not an essential part of the story, no, but I think it makes the whole system a little more thematically immersive and puts an extra step in the fabrication process so that it's not too OP. I already made matter storage units collect automatically even when in your inventory, so that does away with much of the tedium. All you really need to do is take one from a worker (or find one, but that's somewhat less reliable).

5. Save history of manual commands not just across terminals, but also across different games. Hopefully it does not count as "meta affecting gameplay". I use Access(Main) a lot and I also die a lot, so have to retype it over and over.
That's a good idea, and no I wouldn't count that as "meta affecting gameplay" that I referred to earlier. We'll do that.

Thanks!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:53:05 PM »

That's an interesting idea, and might help avoid some confusion as to which item is which. Of course you also might have a larger inventory than can be displayed with 1~0 (multi-page), in which case how are those assigned? There's no consistent way to handle it.

Theoretically you can attached ~10 Hcp storage units for 120 items in your inventory. How would it it handle it now when presenting this list in the machine's selection interface?

As for your original question, the most consistent way to present a list is to reuse your inventory/equipment window, specifically, use a letter to access equipped and number to access inventory, use [. ] to scroll if there is more than 10.
(And with mouse interface, just drag and drop the item from slot to the machine's interface)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:52:54 AM »

120 items is an... interesting theory :)

Now that you mention it, I believe the list is capped at 26 items at once, but can be scrolled. The way that the list works, however, it really needs to stick with a single alphabetical input scheme.

I think we'll probably end up doing this by just throwing all parts and inventory items into one list and mark those which are equipped--perhaps with their current corresponding letter/number in parenthesis where applicable, as a compromise.

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 05:04:43 AM »

something something I'm Hauler-kin please respect my need to roleplay as 'A'

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:09:50 AM »

Step 1: Biomatter wins.
Step 2: Biomatter proceeds to start doing all kinds of weird, weird things...

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 09:54:01 AM »

I think we'll probably end up doing this by just throwing all parts and inventory items into one list and mark those which are equipped--perhaps with their current corresponding letter/number in parenthesis where applicable, as a compromise.

Think about it: you have dedicated a quarter of your valuable screen space to display parts and inventory. It is visible all the time, player has become very familiar with its layout and interface and instead of using that jewel, you present a crappy little window with new layout, new interface which you see only occasionally. To add insult to injury, that big beautiful window with parts that you so familiar with, is still visible on the screen, providing (now misleading) cues to which keyboard shortcuts you may have used if it were active, but instead you really have to ignore it and look for shortcuts in that CLW.