Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 10:42:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Tutorial messages are not logged to a log file  (Read 1853 times)

nsg21

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Tutorial messages are not logged to a log file
« on: May 25, 2015, 08:54:35 PM »

Not sure if bug or feature, but It looks like pink messages (tutorial?) do not end up in a log file.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Tutorial messages are not logged to a log file
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:38:26 PM »

That was intentional. Honestly I don't remember doing it, but I think it makes sense for most people. You apparently really like to read through your logs and learn from them, though, so perhaps that "verbose log" mode I was talking about could also include tutorial messages!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 09:25:42 PM »

Yeah, I like to review log file to see if I missed anything interesting.
The reason I do so is that in a heat of a battle I DO miss a lot of useful messages, even in a turn based game.

Therefore, ALL text appearing on a screen I would like to eventually end up in the log. Most of it probably not interesting, but I do not want to miss interesting stuff if there is some. Tutorial messages are  interesting and useful. What's more  important they show only once.

On a related note: if you include game timestamp (turn number) together with terminal messages/machine hacking results and also equip/unequip stuff, that could serve as an alternative way to tell if terminal is ready, how long till repair/fab and if it's been close to 300 turns I've been wearing that memory backup unit.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 01:36:25 AM »

Yeah, I like to review log file to see if I missed anything interesting.
The reason I do so is that in a heat of a battle I DO miss a lot of useful messages, even in a turn based game.
I've noticed a lot of players missing certain pieces of information. There's just so much that it's hard to be sure you'll take it all in.

Tutorial messages are  interesting and useful. What's more  important they show only once.
If at any point you feel like you want to review some basic tutorial messages, you can reset the tutorial by turning it off and on again in the options (or deleting /user/tutorial.bin). (Everyone's tutorial messages will be reset next release anyway because I'm going to insert a bunch of new ones.)

On a related note: if you include game timestamp (turn number) together with terminal messages/machine hacking results and also equip/unequip stuff, that could serve as an alternative way to tell if terminal is ready, how long till repair/fab and if it's been close to 300 turns I've been wearing that memory backup unit.
Those will become more obvious through some other visual cues that will be added soon.

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »

If at any point you feel like you want to review some basic tutorial messages, you can reset the tutorial by turning it off and on again in the options (or deleting /user/tutorial.bin).

Even so, I can miss that message again for same reason as first one, it may appear only when a lot of things going on. It could be rare and I do not want to read messages that I already read in an off chance I see something I missed last time. If it goes in a log file, there will be also some context to make it understandable.

... game timestamp (turn number) together with terminal messages/machine hacking results and also equip/unequip stuff...
Those will become more obvious through some other visual cues that will be added soon.

visual cues are good, but timestamp in a log is an inexpensive and universal way to track times, delay, etc . Even in situations that we have not discussed here and there is no visual cues for them yet.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:07:39 AM »

Okay, I'll look into that as well. Really any number of things can be added to "verbose" mode, since it's optional anyway.