Grid Sage Forums

• May 06, 2024, 03:48:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Robot scans  (Read 1909 times)

nsg21

• Derelict
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Robot scans
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:54:24 PM »

I have UI improvement suggestion: on a robot scans show brief stats next to the weapons/items name -- same as
shown in the [parts] window in [q] mode. If you want to be cute, only show them
if player is familiar (either in this session or globally) with it, but I think it is not too much of a spoiler to show a brief info.
The name is there, so you can look it up in your google spreadsheet anyway, so that would just speed things up.

If UI engine allows that, let a rightclick on a scan window bring the /DATA/ window on a clicked item.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Robot scans
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:13:38 AM »

That's a pretty good idea, sure. I wouldn't do it based on global knowledge, though, simply to adhere to the "no meta advantages" rule, even if you could look up missing ones in a spreadsheet. At some point I'll do a mockup of this and see how it might work.

The engine could also pull up the full window if we wanted to.

Edit: Now that I think of it, technically you start the game with knowledge of all non-prototype part data, and almost no other robots carry prototypes, so the "having seen before" isn't really an issue. You should always get that info.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:15:55 AM by Kyzrati »
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:55:22 AM »

...and almost no other robots carry prototypes, so...
oh god. what has science done?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:12:14 AM »

You don't want to meet the robots that carry prototypes, anyway. They'll eat you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The whole idea of prototypes is part of the story, too, so there's a reason most robots don't have them.

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:18 AM »

You don't want to meet the robots that carry prototypes, anyway. They'll eat you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

The whole idea of prototypes is part of the story, too, so there's a reason most robots don't have them.
Every mention of this ever elusive story gets me excited. It's a good thing I don't write fan fiction.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:05:38 AM »

Every mention of this ever elusive story gets me excited. It's a good thing I don't write fan fiction.
Never too late to start! :P

It's not super elusive, you just have to
  • be able to hack terminal records (the story is not too hard to hack, since it doesn't provide you with any real advantages in the mechanics)
  • get far enough into the game to be able to hack/read the deeper pieces of the story that pull it all together
Of course, you can't experience the full thing because there are no NPCs or big story areas in the game yet.

I'm quite proud of the story, and it'll be exciting to see it finally 100% completed.