Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 07:12:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: When player die don't jump to the death screen immidiatly.  (Read 4354 times)

ender1200

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile

This is relatively a little thing but it really irks me. When you die in the game, it immediately jumps to the Game over screen, and you don't get to see yourself dying, I just had to check and see if you even see the final volley that kills you, I was under the impression that you don't even get to see that. This can get really disorienting at times and for a game with such a great visual feedback in battle this is a big missed opportunity.

So I would request for the game to have a "death cam". When you die the game handle it the same way it handle NPC death, you get shot, "explode" (Your icon disappear the same way enemy icons do) and all your surviving modules are scattered on the floor. Then present an in game death message and wait for the player to click a button before going to the score screen.

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Re: When player die don't jump to the death screen immidiatly.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 09:56:12 AM »

Yeah I would love a score screen that also has a shot of the scene surrounding your death, would be nice to share with folks.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 01:45:14 PM »

This is relatively a little thing but it really irks me. When you die in the game, it immediately jumps to the Game over screen, and you don't get to see yourself dying, I just had to check and see if you even see the final volley that kills you, I was under the impression that you don't even get to see that. This can get really disorienting at times and for a game with such a great visual feedback in battle this is a big missed opportunity.

So I would request for the game to have a "death cam". When you die the game handle it the same way it handle NPC death, you get shot, "explode" (Your icon disappear the same way enemy icons do) and all your surviving modules are scattered on the floor. Then present an in game death message and wait for the player to click a button before going to the score screen.
Hm, I can see this being very cool. That said, I'd be really torn to do it because Cogmind is supposed to be more of an "immersive experience" than a "game where you're controlling something from the third person," and not immediately animating the black screen sort of ruins that.

I can at least image doing an even cooler death animation that does show how you died, and also messes up the interface in an interesting way while/before the screen wipe.

I'll probably put this on the medium/long-term list to consider.

And about seeing your parts scatter, most Cogmind's die naked ;)

Yeah I would love a score screen that also has a shot of the scene surrounding your death, would be nice to share with folks.
So you're thinking the score box over maybe a faded background of the screen when you died? I'd have more or less the same opinion of this, but I can see the value it adds in other ways. I'll have to think about it.

Anyone else feel free to chime in with other variations or related ideas.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 04:32:14 PM »

No need to die all at once.

Bits of the UI could go away one at a time, ending with the view port then final messages before fading altogether would be immersive.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Baltazar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:49:04 PM »

I don't mind the death animation so far, but I would love love love an in-game scoresheet (a la DCSS). That might not work out with how you're plugged directly into COGMIND as soon as you boot up the program. Maybe it could be just another menu item (maybe under 5] Game?).

infectedm

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 02:20:22 AM »

Another idea: the game could record your last ~100 moves so you can replay them upon death to see where you took the wrong action :)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 03:45:58 AM »

No need to die all at once.

Bits of the UI could go away one at a time, ending with the view port then final messages before fading altogether would be immersive.
This much is what I was imagining when the suggestion came up. There is plenty of room for some cool-looking animations here. I would just want to keep the final fade to black for the background, behind the score box. I'll be revisiting it in the future.

I don't mind the death animation so far, but I would love love love an in-game scoresheet (a la DCSS). That might not work out with how you're plugged directly into COGMIND as soon as you boot up the program. Maybe it could be just another menu item (maybe under 5] Game?).
I did intentionally do away with any kind of start menu (there wasn't even a title intro to begin with but I eventually decided leaving that out would be a bad idea).

I hid those features under the 5] Game menu, and I can see putting some more meta stuff in there.

Are you thinking of viewing previous score sheets? Or the tallies for the current run? I haven't played DCSS in a while and don't recall any in-game score sheets except for the high score list--maybe this was added in the few years since I was playing.

Another idea: the game could record your last ~100 moves so you can replay them upon death to see where you took the wrong action :)
I would love to make complete replays available, and I've tried it with the engine before, but it's not completely reliable due to how some of the game logic is build directly into the animation system :'(

Arseface

• Derelict
  • Baddest of the Bads
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 12:50:22 PM »

I would love to make complete replays available, and I've tried it with the engine before, but it's not completely reliable due to how some of the game logic is build directly into the animation system :'(
Can that logic be realistically moved? Or at the very least recomputed during the replay somehow?

One of my favorite features in games is full replays. They add a lot to contest runs like in Brogue and score runs in games like Touhou.
"Hard work might pay off in the long run, but being lazy always pays off right now"
-Somebody

Baltazar

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »

I was referring to just the high scores list. It's not even updated til post-death, of course. I wouldn't really expect any kind of live update feed on the scores - it would be cool to just be able to see all the previous cogminds in-game with maybe a loadout of them at peak.

Heh, it'd be kind of cool if it only triggered when Cogmind got system corruption. Like his brain was going and all his past multiple personalities were showing through. Easter egg?!

boomblip

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Achievement leader in at least one category during Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 05:19:18 PM »

One thing I would really love is a total tally of accomplishments page, like number of deaths, number of kills, completed runs, total evolutions, etc etc etc, I just enjoy looking over stats.

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »

One thing I would really love is a total tally of accomplishments page, like number of deaths, number of kills, completed runs, total evolutions, etc etc etc, I just enjoy looking over stats.

Having this information compiled would be pretty neat.  At the moment I have to count my many score files and add the times/evolutions manually ;)

nsg21

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »

manually

That's what perl is for. You just need yourself to hack some terminals.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 01:11:20 AM »

lol nsg21

This should be added eventually, yeah. I want to overhaul the score sheet system in general, and part of that would be to collect more cross-play meta data. I was planning on it doing it during pre-alpha, but after a lot of planning decided it would be best to wait until a bunch of real players were at it to see what you all would prefer :).

We'll be revisiting this.