Grid Sage Forums

• May 05, 2024, 10:52:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Swapping out equipment  (Read 4118 times)

thrAsher

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
Swapping out equipment
« on: May 20, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »

For having such a sleek and dare I say elegant interface, it bugs me to no end that I can't drag an item from my inventory to swap out with a broken or momentarily obsolete piece of equipment on my bot. Instead, I have to drag the installed equipment from the Cogmind to my inventory, then click the new item to install. I was watching a let's play last night and the guy playing kept trying to do the same thing. It feels awkward. It would be nice if it worked both ways, too. I don't want my mining laser anymore, so I drag the mining laser down over a light cannon in my inventory, and they swap out 1 for 1.

Just a thought. It's by no means game breaking, but I keep finding myself trying to do it and remember, "ah, right, that's not a thing". Would love it if it was.

Maurog

• Unaware
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015 (Advanced Tier!!!)
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping out equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »

You can already do swaps by holding shift when you drag the items around. But maybe it really should be the default behavior...

Yeah, that totally should be a thing. Equip or unequip if the item is dragged onto the window in general or onto an unmatching item, but swap if you drag it on a matching, swappable item.
Make the target item glow in some special way when you drag over it if it would be swapped and replaced by the item you're dragging.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:07:34 PM by Maurog »
Slay the living! Raise the dead! Paint the sky in crimson red!

infectedm

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »

Is it possible to swap items in keyboard mode? I really like keyboard mode because it's perfect for playing with my laptop on the couch - but for item swapping I have to switch back into mouse mode.
Nonetheless the interface is indeed very sleek and elegant, better than any other roguelike I have seen so far.

thrAsher

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »

Ah, so it is, I must have glanced over that tidbit. There are certainly a ton of keybindings. Thanks Maurog. As long as there is a way to do it, I think that's fine, but I do feel like it's a bit counter-intuitive to not have it the default action.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:51:23 PM by thrAsher »

biomatter

• Cyborg
  • Bug Hunter Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win Weekly Seed Participant Wiki Contributor Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Improved Tier!)
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »

I wish Dwarf Fortress had an interface as sexy as this one :(

fonetikli

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:25:25 PM »

Hahaha :)  I hear ya!

jimmijamjams

• Cyborg
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier) Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015 Weekly Seed Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 02:57:42 AM »

Is it possible to swap items in keyboard mode? I really like keyboard mode because it's perfect for playing with my laptop on the couch - but for item swapping I have to switch back into mouse mode.
Nonetheless the interface is indeed very sleek and elegant, better than any other roguelike I have seen so far.

It is possible to swap weapons in keyboard mode:

Hold "Ctrl" + "Shift" + (equipped item)
Hold "Ctrl" + "Shift" + (item from inventory)

I couldn't find it in the instructions, but that's worked for me.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:24 AM »

It is possible to swap weapons in keyboard mode:

Hold "Ctrl" + "Shift" + (equipped item)
Hold "Ctrl" + "Shift" + (item from inventory)

I couldn't find it in the instructions, but that's worked for me.
It's under the advanced commands, on the parts window (all commands are shown on their relevant windows when the mode is activated).

If you are trying to use keyboard more, make sure you read all the advanced commands! You can do literally everything by keyboard, and it's really fun and fast :D

You can already do swaps by holding shift when you drag the items around. But maybe it really should be the default behavior...

Yeah, that totally should be a thing. Equip or unequip if the item is dragged onto the window in general or onto an unmatching item, but swap if you drag it on a matching, swappable item.
Make the target item glow in some special way when you drag over it if it would be swapped and replaced by the item you're dragging.
That's an interesting way to look at it. It wasn't the default behavior because I wanted players to be able to just drag items up and down without regard for where they were dropping them, and let the game figure it out. But mouse users do need a slightly quicker more reliable way to swap items like keyboard users have, and as you say, the UI can do the type differentiation for you and even glow a bit to show that a swap will take place.

The only problem I can see is that players don't often realize that you can drop the item anywhere, and try to put it directly into an empty slot--this could mean they might accidentally swap with an item adjacent to an empty slot rather than attaching. But I guess gamers' mouse accuracy is pretty good in most cases...

That change will definitely be going in!

Hahaha :)  I hear ya!
Me too! That is such an awesome game, but I couldn't get into it because the interface is such a chore that I always felt like I was wasting too much time.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon