Grid Sage Forums

• May 04, 2024, 06:44:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: I want revenge!  (Read 1025 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
I want revenge!
« on: November 16, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »

Literally two turns away from victory without ever attaching propulsion. See the attached scoresheet for more info.
I want revenge on whatever the thing that made the access shell not open is. Could any kind, revenge-enabling soul please tell me what or who my target is? Had said soon-to-be scrap pile not stopped the access shell from opening, i would have won with 2hp left.

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Re: I want revenge!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 02:10:00 PM »

The access shell opens when you enter from the other side. Or at least it used to. It used to open when you enter any tile where the sealed door was. I do recall it not working in some version, so I'm not sure what the current trigger is.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 05:58:04 PM »

So close! You have to go through the other side via hacking the terminal for it to enable the shell retraction mechanism (which triggers as you walk from the terminal to the shell), otherwise you'll need to smash it open yourself or draw fire and get other bots to rip it open for you as they miss...

Getting revenge here would require bringing hackware next time and heading around to the other side ;)

Going through the heavily-guarded side on a propulsion-free core is pretty damn brave though. The knockback over there is killer!
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 09:52:17 AM »

So close! You have to go through the other side via hacking the terminal for it to enable the shell retraction mechanism (which triggers as you walk from the terminal to the shell),
Was this changed in some "recent" version? I'm pretty sure it opened from the other side for me before.

Getting revenge here would require bringing hackware next time and heading around to the other side ;)
Actually, after reading the reason for why it didn't open, i'm not sure the terminal is technically the actual culprit here. I think i'll destroy the behemoths as my revenge(at least the one that's on the right when facing the barrier), because they killed me despite the fact that i never killed them.(at least i don't think i ever did)

Going through the heavily-guarded side on a propulsion-free core is pretty damn brave though. The knockback over there is killer!
I had to do it twice, actually! because the first time they destroyed both my enhanced nova cannon and my advanced particle charger, i had to teleport out to try again later with just one layer left!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 04:46:24 PM »

Was this changed in some "recent" version? I'm pretty sure it opened from the other side for me before.
No change.

I had to do it twice, actually! because the first time they destroyed both my enhanced nova cannon and my advanced particle charger, i had to teleport out to try again later with just one layer left!
Yeah the number of layers there, with both Behemoths handing around there, can be quite a problem sometimes--often gets down to the wire :)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 09:41:06 AM »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 06:17:25 AM »

Well did you read the thread? :P

Joshua gave the likely answer there.

It being their first game that player may have missed some details, but if you notice their map the entire blast door is already open, and once that happens the shell can open automatically as well.

Above I was only referring to the normal direct mechanism for opening the shell, but technically it might happen indirectly due to a number of other causes. I shouldn't have really written "have to go through" since it's not the only way, but I had actually written a much longer paragraph to respond to you on that point with some additional architectural details and decided to delete it because that was going to just get unnecessarily complicated :P

You should operate under the assumption that it's related to the main door.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 09:31:32 AM »

Well did you read the thread? :P

Joshua gave the likely answer there.
I did, but not only did i misread this sentence :
It used to open when you enter any tile where the sealed door was.
the post also ends with
I do recall it not working in some version, so I'm not sure what the current trigger is.
Because of this, i wasn't sure what to think.

It being their first game that player may have missed some details,
I did check the scoresheet to make sure.

but if you notice their map the entire blast door is already open, and once that happens the shell can open automatically as well.

Above I was only referring to the normal direct mechanism for opening the shell, but technically it might happen indirectly due to a number of other causes. I shouldn't have really written "have to go through" since it's not the only way, but I had actually written a much longer paragraph to respond to you on that point with some additional architectural details and decided to delete it because that was going to just get unnecessarily complicated :P
Oh, that makes sense : If either of the doors are opened, the shell should retract, because it would be dumb for 0b10 to have two doors, but only have one that works the entire way. Thanks!

Is this referring to those "additional architecture details" here or just advice?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 04:48:57 PM »

It being their first game that player may have missed some details,
I did check the scoresheet to make sure.
No by that I mean details that occurred in their story but that aren't recorded in the scoresheet itself.

Oh, that makes sense : If either of the doors are opened, the shell should retract, because it would be dumb for 0b10 to have two doors, but only have one that works the entire way. Thanks!
No no, the Behemoth side does not open the shell--there is no opening mechanism over there at all because those doors are weaker for a reason--the whole point of that area is to prevent things from getting into the complex, not out of it... It's the main entry point. Enemies coming into the main entrance would naturally go through the weaker side.

(Many players seem to assume the surface access is for some reason designed specifically to prevent escapes, probably the usual player-centric assumptions about a game and your own personal goal(s), but if you think about the lore that's not the case here! It's the same reason there are anti-orbital cannons scattered across Access :P)

Is this referring to those "additional architecture details" here or just advice?
Just advice on how to play it.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »

No no, the Behemoth side does not open the shell--
After re-checking the scoresheet, it does seem like i missed the fact that the terminal side door was open. I think i understand better now.

the whole point of that area is to prevent things from getting into the complex, not out of it... It's the main entry point. Enemies coming into the main entrance would naturally go through the weaker side.

(Many players seem to assume the surface access is for some reason designed specifically to prevent escapes, probably the usual player-centric assumptions about a game and your own personal goal(s), but if you think about the lore that's not the case here! It's the same reason there are anti-orbital cannons scattered across Access :P)
I never noticed those were cannons, actually. I also didn't think much about whether things were there to keep out or in.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »

Revenge accomplished! Twice!

First, in a "mad max" run, where i broke through the barrier from the other side, then hacked the right one to help kill the other. The right one died eventually after fending off almost two entire assault arcs on its own : https://cogmind-api.gridsagegames.com/scoresheets/NVuZULhuHWVjCwhbm

Second, in a pacifist true flier run, where i hacked the right one, left, then broke through from behind and hacked the left one which had defeated the right one : https://cogmind-api.gridsagegames.com/scoresheets/Y47WLpxaaPzatdVXz

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 11:30:46 PM »

Hehe, revenge is sweet. Always nice to have some set pieces like this that you can plan for, amidst all the other procedural environments.