• May 05, 2024, 05:05:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tiles Mode  (Read 8244 times)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Tiles Mode
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »

For those who can get into ASCII (and Cogmind certainly has many features that help with that) it will generally be the easier mode, mostly due to the requirement that individual cells must be relatively small. Kacper can only do so much with so few pixels! For the tileset the general consensus has been that the existing tiles are both good-looking and distinguishable, though once the game is complete there is the possibility of additional sets for different needs/preferences. Several artists have expressed an interest.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Ghost73

• Unaware
  • Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 12:40:01 AM »

Another part of the problem is that on some monitors the floor tiles will show up better due to how very dark colors are treated, while on others they'll remain fairly dark. In finding the right brightness these two situations need to be balanced somewhat (with regard to the default appearance).

That said, there could be some sort of gamma correction specifically for this issue... In fact, that sounds like a pretty good idea! The current default setting would be the darkest, and you could shift the floors to appear brighter if need be. I'll explore this possibility, though testing shows that if the floor is too bright, debris doesn't show up very nicely.

See some attached samples of the current base value compared to +50% and +100% brightness on the floor.

I think you're definitely correct about the brightness issue and the solution for it. I'd hate to think I'm distracting you from more important issues, but I know you would have my appreciation for that convenience.

Also, thanks for sharing those images, it's awesome to see a dev so directly involved with the community!

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 12:49:11 AM »

Happy to be of assistance :). The first few releases are aimed at getting most (but not all...) of these little UI nitpicks and personal preferences out of the way before finally getting to new content (beginning with Alpha 3).

This change in particular could be pretty easy to implement, and although it came in late as Alpha 2 nears completion, I may even throw it in now because it's that easy.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Reiver

• Derelict
  • Participated in the Alpha Challenge 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 06:10:30 PM »

For what it's worth, the tiles are incredibly informative in their own way - I don't need to memorise the letters, I know a robot when I see it. The excavators I identified without ever needing to ID them; there's a big drill on the nose! And if you want legs or hover units instead of wheels, it's immediately obvious which robots you want to go murder. ;)

I also like the way they make debris 'fade out' from the foreground. It's a small thing, but it's nice.

Jeffris

• Unaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:50:02 AM »

Love the option for the tiles mode.  Legit the reason I made the purchase.  Helps that the tiles look great also.

ironpotato

• Derelict
  • Weekly Seed Participant Supported Cogmind Alpha Access 2015-2017 (Prime Tier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »

Just wanted to say, finally updated to the new version, erased all my old files. It took me a while to realize I was playing tiled. It didn't dawn on me until I was watching an enemy go by and was like "I don't recognize it." After that I realized how good a job you guys did with keeping tile mode with the theme of the game. It's easy to distinguish tiles and the colors are fitting.

That said, I'm now back in ASCII mode, but I'll have to spend more time with tiles once I get back into the swing of the game.
Pages: 1 [2]