Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 05:16:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Two things i'm confused about/would like more info on [DSFs]  (Read 1423 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
Two things i'm confused about/would like more info on [DSFs]
« on: April 24, 2022, 02:57:07 AM »

-What's the point of going into a DSF as opposed to going to a branch? As far as i can see, DSFs are only useful temporarily : you can get some rare-ish items and some Authchips, but nearly every branch gives more permanent boosts, and the others have better/more stuff than DSFs, just no Authchips.

-How are you meant/is there a way to figure out the achievement
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I haven't done the achievement yet, please don't spoil me on what happens.)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 03:54:38 AM by Kyzrati »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Two things i'm confused about/would like more info on
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 06:21:27 AM »

-How are you meant/is there a way to figure out the achievement "Curiosity killed the cat"?
No, that one doesn't have any particular hints at the moment, just something a lot of people tended to eventually do before I was deciding what events to mark (or found out in the community, since it's right at the start of the game and a number of people tend to talk about it when starting out).

And DSFs might be useful for some people/builds/strategies, but definitely not most. Branches are usually a better option. I won't go into detail here, but maybe others will have input (I've seen people talking about/using them in the community, and it'll be interesting to get data from Beta 11 and share that).
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 03:30:48 AM »

I see, thank you.

Note : I now realise that i forgot to explicitly mention that the main reason i don't consider DSFs good options is because it's a coin flip whether their exits will lead to the next floor or not, and the resulting risk isn't worth the reward.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 03:54:02 AM »

Yeah that's a valid concern, for sure. Lots to think about in terms of whether or not you'd want to go in! One interesting possibility is yet another alternative for comebacks--just earlier today someone was reporting having been all but destroyed on their current run, but jumped into a DSF on the new floor as a last resort and came out with a good build.

I think design-wise they add more variance to a run, which is why experienced players with a specific goal in mind will be more likely to avoid them except in special situations, but there can be a lot of other potential situations where it makes sense, or at the very least is a fun new option :)
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
Re: Two things i'm confused about/would like more info on [DSFs]
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 02:24:45 PM »

-How are you meant/is there a way to figure out the achievement
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For me it was trying to see if the bots build something interesting in the end. So I sat there watching the bots do their stuff.

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 10:40:24 AM »

Note : I now realise that i forgot to explicitly mention that the main reason i don't consider DSFs good options is because it's a coin flip whether their exits will lead to the next floor or not, and the resulting risk isn't worth the reward.
Correction : According to the blog post about DSFs that i recently remembered to read, they always lead to the next floor, which is worse, or into a garrison, which i think is somewhat nice except maybe for playing with a flight build not tailored for garrisons.