Grid Sage Forums

• May 03, 2024, 06:53:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: In-fight long distance mouse movement block  (Read 1161 times)

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
In-fight long distance mouse movement block
« on: April 02, 2022, 02:10:56 AM »

When using a mouse to play, you can click on distant tiles and be pathed there automatically, unless there's a hostile in sight in which case you have to move tile by tile. However, you can still click on faraway tiles to move and be moved one tile only. One of the ways to enter targeting mode using the mouse is left-clicking onto foes.

The problem i have is that sometimes right before it's my turn hostiles decide to move, and so, by trying to enter targeting mode by clicking on them, i instead click onto the tile they were just at, which causes me to move instead, losing my turn and accuracy bonus for standing still and also getting shot at.

My suggestion is an option to de-activate [long-range left-clicking to move] when hostiles are in view.

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: In-fight long distance mouse movement block
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 02:35:45 AM »

Not quite sure what you mean by "long distance" in this case, but it sounds like if your goal is to attack something then it's probably not really all that long distance, and you're probably playing a little too fast?

Having the option to disable directional mouse movement unless you're clicking close to Cogmind would be seem pretty inconvenient in most cases. Hm, would like to see more support for such an option from other mouse users before adding something like this, considering how niche it appears.
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

R-26 Lightspeed

• Sigix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »

Not quite sure what you mean by "long distance" in this case, but it sounds like if your goal is to attack something then it's probably not really all that long distance,
I meant "long distance movement" as in clicking on a tile that would normally move you by more than one tile.

and you're probably playing a little too fast?
In order to avoid playing a little too fast during fights and avoid this issue, i would need to wait a full second (well maybe not that much, but still) after the last unit finished shooting in order to properly register if the hostile i intend to shoot at moved.
At this point in time i'm so used to trying to target enemies as soon as i get the visual feedback that indicates it's my turn that unlearning it would take a long time.
(Although alternatively, i could learn to use RMB or another method to begin targeting instead of clicking on hostiles, but i'm not sure if i'll succeed in doing so.)
(According to my scoresheets, i actually play rather slowly; For example, my first beta 11 run (w4), took 14:44:45)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 05:08:57 AM »

I meant "long distance movement" as in clicking on a tile that would normally move you by more than one tile.
Yeah I got that much, what I meant was I don't know how faraway you're actually trying to click. But apparently you mean even if they're really close to you, anyway, so I guess it's not really relevant to the issue at hand anyway.

(According to my scoresheets, i actually play rather slowly; For example, my first beta 11 run (w4), took 14:44:45)
Yeah I don't mean run length, I mean action pacing. leiavoia's scoresheet analyzer includes that kind of thing, I believe, e.g. "actions per minute" etc. (as did Ape's before that). It can vary a lot between different people, and also people evolve in different directions over time to increase or reduced their speed, usually to some sort of medium because playing too slow is normally avoidable with experience, and entering actions too quickly is going to cause tactical mistakes (more than just misclicks--you really should kinda let what's going on process for a split second to make sure you actually want to do what your brain thinks you want to do, because the game state won't always align with what you expect). Happens to me at least a few times on most runs if I'm playing too fast as well.

If an outright block is put on "long-distance" movement by clicking on empty spaces while in combat, your movements will indeed be that much more deliberate with the mouse, but you're also going to spend a higher average amount of time to act every time you want to move rather than shoot as long as there is an enemy in view, since you'll always have to move your cursor back to an adjacent position...

Valguris

• Cyborg
  • Kyzrati Patron Bug Hunter Weekly Seed Participant Shared a Confirmed Stealth Win
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 01:29:38 PM »

As a keyboard and mouse user, the proposal looks reasonable and I might want to use it, too. When in combat, I want to precisely control my movements, so I'll click on an adjacent tile anyway. A lot of the faraway clicks that make me move during combat are missclicks.

I do recall sometimes repeatedly clicking on a faraway tile when in "combat", e.g., when the "threat" is a broken bot or a Watcher. So I'm not sure if I'll block these kinds of moves. I'll probably at least try it for some time, though.

Maybe faraway moves in combat should be blocked by default, but when you click on a faraway tile a second time (a warning the first time you click, the second click confirms), the game turns off the block for the remainder of this encounter?

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 01:07:35 AM »

Maybe faraway moves in combat should be blocked by default, but when you click on a faraway tile a second time (a warning the first time you click, the second click confirms), the game turns off the block for the remainder of this encounter?
Nah I definitely wouldn't want to do that, too cumbersome and adds to confusion for new players. I'm not against the idea of having alternative behavior be available through the advanced options, just need some more confirmation on its potential usefulness to a greater number of players, to make sure it's worth the dev cost...