Grid Sage Forums

• May 02, 2024, 06:49:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

LINKS: Website | Steam | Wiki

Author Topic: Highlight Cogmind amongst a sea of items?  (Read 152 times)

Baxter

• Derelict
    • View Profile
Highlight Cogmind amongst a sea of items?
« on: April 03, 2024, 03:09:41 PM »

This is trivial, but there's been a few situations where the ground is littered with items, making Cogmind a little difficult to see (see screenshot). Would it make sense, in these scenarios, to make Cogmind stand out a little bit more -- some sort of highlighting mechanism?

This doesn't happen a lot, and it's a very minor thing, but it may be a slight QOL addition. And if this already exists, my apologies!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 03:15:12 PM by Baxter »

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
Re: Highlight Cogmind amongst a sea of items?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 05:42:50 PM »

Interesting request, almost surprised I haven't heard this before and I thought this might be in the context of the new option to dynamically set an alternate centerpoint, because otherwise Cogmind is always going to be right at the center of the map view unless you shift away to look at other areas, but there's always the Enter key to recenter on your position. Were you familiar with that one and would it help?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon

Baxter

• Derelict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 06:05:32 PM »

I haven't used the alternate centerpoint feature myself. I very frequently use ALT+direction to scan the map, then Enter to re-center myself.

It does help knowing that Cogmind's always at the centre; still, I sometimes find it a bit challenging when all the tiles are filled with items. But, to be honest, such situations are rare -- for me, it happens almost exclusively during the cave infestation -- and I can mitigate the effect by playing slower (which I should probably do anyway :P)

Kyzrati

• Administrator
  • True Cogmind
    • View Profile
    • Cogmind
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 02:01:51 AM »

Well once you start doing more combat-oriented runs you'll see it a lot more often, though yeah you're generally always at the very center (or as of Beta 13 the same position in the map view that you assign) so I never felt that was something that really needed to be emphasized.

It would be possible to add some sort of optional advanced cfg option to blink or glow Cogmind if there are a lot of items nearby or something like that. It wouldn't be a default feature since that's yet another thing that would need to be taught and otherwise confusing before then (and doesn't seem to be an issue for most people).

I wonder if anyone else is interested in this?
Josh Ge, Developer - Dev Blog | @GridSageGames | Patreon